• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rotation of synthetic winch line

98XJLongBuild

NAXJA Forum User
Ive recently purchased a 95 Yota Ext. Cab, i know i know its a yota and not a jeep, but i still have my trail rig. I got way to tired of having one vehicle and getting beaten up behind the wheel. So i caved in..

So the question is i got the truck with a smitty built winch w/ a 70' synthetic rope. The rope i currently being spooled of the top of the drum. I know that with cable / wire you always want it spooled from the bottom. Im not Sure if there is any different between the two on spooling them onto the drums.

Well that about sums it up.

Sounds like its time to re-spool that sucker.

Maybe the PO wrapped ikt that way because it contacts a sharp edge in the bumper

Nope there are zero sharp points. Plus to spool it out you almost need to hook the end around something and drive backwards. With having it come off the top it causes alot of friction, thus is what first alearted me to this issue.

it should run under, by going over the top, you put alot more leverage against the mounts for the winch, it will eventually break the mounts off the winch

I just set up my XCR 8 Comp that came with the synthetic line and the sticker on the winch said to spool it from the bottom. I have no contact problems and it make perfect sense that over the top would put more stress on the mounts.

Spool from the bottom. A buddy of mine had it spooled wrong and snapped the rope (due to fraying on the fairlead) on his first (easy) pull. That was an expensive lesson.

The smittybilt I saw in 4 wheel parts yesterday was spooled over the top. Apparently they were wrong too :)

Yes they're WRONG.Look at the paper work in the box, it'll tell you the RIGHT way to install the ROPE.

Cable is done on top i think.LIKE i said, I think.I would have to go out and look at my old one sitting in the garage.

I am thinking,..... all winches I have seen rotate and pull in such a way that the cable winds onto the spool from the bottom unless,.... the winch is rotated 180* ie; all the rigs I have see have the motor on the left and the clutch on the right when facing the winch.

Well, I am no expert since I do not own a winch and have never used on. I may be wrong with this assumption.

Okay all the info above verifys all the info. that I need.

Any and all winches regardless of wire rope or synthetic rope the cable/rope is to be spooled from the bottom of the drum.

Thanks for all the help guys. I could have gone to the manufactor and delt with them for a while or just go to some guys that arent trying to sell parts to you. Much easier this way always

Thanks

Yes they're WRONG.Look at the paper work in the box, it'll tell you the RIGHT way to install the ROPE.

Cable is done on top i think.LIKE i said, I think.I would have to go out and look at my old one sitting in the garage.

I wasn't trying to be a smartass I was just stating what I saw

Just my thought, But it seems the rope would be loaded to clear straight thru the fairhead without having to angle up or down to do so. So if the fairhead is mounted high, over the top and if mounted low, under the bottom. I run winchs every day with wire rope spooled on them and have seen those loaded both ways depending on the location of the fairhead in relation to the winch.

So yesterday i went out and looked a little closure at it and the reason for the cable to be mounted on top is that the warn bumper only allows the winch to be mounted backwards. Thus forcing the previous owner to wrap the rope on backwards.

So i unspolled the rope and took the two wires that control the tfrigger and swithed the in and out wires. So it now runs underneath the drum and the trigger operatez properly.

Then when i went to respool the drum the clutch disengages under load. It feels like it engages properly but once a load is applied it jumps out. Anyone have any ideas of why this is happening?

Its a smittybuilt XRC8

So yesterday i went out and looked a little closure at it and the reason for the cable to be mounted on top is that the warn bumper only allows the winch to be mounted backwards. Thus forcing the previous owner to wrap the rope on backwards.

So i unspolled the rope and took the two wires that control the tfrigger and swithed the in and out wires. So it now runs underneath the drum and the trigger operatez properly.

Then when i went to respool the drum the clutch disengages under load. It feels like it engages properly but once a load is applied it jumps out. Anyone have any ideas of why this is happening?

Its a smittybuilt XRC8

Don't the winch spin one direction for power in and the other direction for power out? And does the clutch allow the same amount of force to be applied in both directions? IMO you have two choices; 1) unbolt the winch and turn it 180* then re-bolt it and 2) move the fair lead up higher so the rope do not rub it on a normal straight pull.

As stated before, all the mounted winches I have seen have the motor on the passsenger side of the vehicle and the clutch on the driver side with the cable comming off the bottom of the winch. Are you saying yours is mounted the other way around?

Don't the winch spin one direction for power in and the other direction for power out? And does the clutch allow the same amount of force to be applied in both directions? IMO you have two choices; 1) unbolt the winch and turn it 180* then re-bolt it and 2) move the fair lead up higher so the rope do not rub it on a normal straight pull.

As stated before, all the mounted winches I have seen have the motor on the passsenger side of the vehicle and the clutch on the driver side with the cable comming off the bottom of the winch. Are you saying yours is mounted the other way around?

Ya the warn bumper does not allow the winch to be mounted the normal way with the motor on the passenger side and clutch on driver side. The top plate of the bumper does not allow the clutch handle to operate.

I dont really want to cut the top plate but i guess i might if it dont work mounted backwards. Ill begoint to tue 4X4 convention on sunday and hopefully there Will be a smittybuilt dealer there and i can talk to them about it.

Also Ill go to warns website and see what winches exactly fite there bumper and which ones dont.

Also you were saying that it should have power one way and not really the other. I might have misunderstood you but a winch motor is designed to have equal amount of power in both directions.

Also you were saying that it should have power one way and not really the other. I might have misunderstood you but a winch motor is designed to have equal amount of power in both directions.

Yea, the motor should have the same amount of power when spinning in either direction but the clutches may prevent the full power from being transmitted to the cable drum in one direction and not the other. It could be designed to ratchet or slip in one direction and lockup in the other. In reality, it should not take much power to unrool the cable from the drum but it need all the power it could built to pull it back in when loaded.

Someone who have done repairs to a winch will be better able to give a definate answer.

just to put my $.02 in on the spooling of the rope, id go with how it comes out of the fairlead the straightest, and depending how it initially connects to the drum (cant have any reverse bends). If you're ever putting a new cable on, just make sure it goes onto the winch the same way it comes off the spool it comes on. A twist put into the cable will damage it very soon, especially with such a small diameter drum. I'm a tower crane erector/tech so I know spooling cable lol

Back