• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

v6 good or bad?

Swamprat

NAXJA Forum User
found a dead sexy well maintained 86, but it has the 2.8 V6. which i've heard is crap, so before i drop cash is it worth it? or should i keep looking for a 4 banger or 4.0.

Hold out for a 4.0. I have a nice 86 mj with a 2.8 that i can't sell for anything......i should've waited for a 4.0.

how much is it?

the 2.8 is a turd, but if it blows you can always swap a 3.4 V6 in, or do a V8 or 4.0L swap. If it is in good shape for the price I would buy it regardless. Just start collecting parts for the repairs/upgrades immediately.

If the body is good, and its cheap enough. Buy it. And gift it to me. ha.

found a dead sexy well maintained 86, but it has the 2.8 V6. which i've heard is crap, so before i drop cash is it worth it? or should i keep looking for a 4 banger or 4.0.

Meh.

Performance of the V6-2.8 is on par (mostly) with the AMC 4-150, so no real advantage there.

The best thing that can be done with the V6-2.8 is to swap it out for a V6-3.1/3.4L with the THM700R4 and NP231C from an S10 (gains a better engine, more power output, overdrive gear, stronger transfer case, engine is a direct mechanical swap) or swap in the V6-262 from the later S10 or K10 (with THM700R4/4L60 and NP231C, the V6-262 is based on the SB Chevvy) or the SB Chevvy (K-series pickup or Suburban) with 4L60 or 4L80 transmission.

The latter swaps are going to be more work, but should be fun - the 4L80 is essentially a THM400 with the addition of an overdrive gear, and you'll get either the NP231C or NP241C transfer case, which is going to be better than the NP231J (the NP231C has a 1.25" chain vice the 1" in the NP231J, and the NP241C is just a stronger case to begin with.)

Advance Adapters makes a drop-in mount cradle to put the SBC into the XJ/MJ, which should also work with the V6-262. You'll have to adapt the transmission mount and probably relocate the crossmember; and you'll want to bring the electronics along either way (the OEM V6-2.8 is carburetted, and the 3.1L and 3.4L - as well as desirable V6-262 or V8 - will be fuel injected.)

The only other really good thing to do with the V6-2.8L is to punch a hole down through the carburettor mount, hang a chain in it, and pour it full of Sakrete - then give it to your buddy with a large boat to use for an anchor...

The only other really good thing to do with the V6-2.8L is to punch a hole down through the carburettor mount, hang a chain in it, and pour it full of Sakrete - then give it to your buddy with a large boat to use for an anchor...

Quoted for truth and humor:D

hmm cool, i think i'll wait on it. he's asking $3250, and im trying to trade off my impreza for it. so it looks like it'd be a major loss for me, plus i have a line on a nice quad cab ram.

hmm cool, i think i'll wait on it. he's asking $3250, and im trying to trade off my impreza for it. so it looks like it'd be a major loss for me, plus i have a line on a nice quad cab ram.

Thats way high for a 86 V6 MJ, even if it were mint!

Hold out for a 4.0/AW4

I'd rather have an injected four cylinder ( hell even carbed) over a 2.8 GM, I've had one of those engines before, they suck, and I don't just mean they have compression.

3250 would buy you a late 90's rig. why bother with that? twice what i paid for my 91.

3250 would buy you a late 90's rig. why bother with that? twice what i paid for my 91.

But he wants an MJ....... :D That price is ridiculous!

3k? walk away. I don't care how perfect the sheetmetal is.

Back