• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats going on with these flanged bearings?

spdyracer

NAXJA Forum User
i just got these from justdifferentials.

https://www.justdifferentials.com/in...yword=ak+set10

this might be a dump question but whats going on with the bearings? there's a ring around the top holding the flange and the bearing together. why is it there and does it come off so i can put the flange into my rear axle and the bearing onto my axle shaft? hopefully like my master rebuild kit i didn't order the wrong thing.

P1160187.jpg

P1160189.jpg

that's a timken dana 44 bearing and seal kit. i just installed a set today, looks right to me. not sure why you'd want to seperate it, it slides in pretty easy all assembled.

that's a timken dana 44 bearing and seal kit. i just installed a set today, looks right to me. not sure why you'd want to seperate it, it slides in pretty easy all assembled.

does it slide into the axle or on the axle shaft? i just tore mine down and the bearings are on the axle shaft and the race is in the end of the axle. this is new to me so im not really sure how it all goes together

the race in the housing pulls right out, mine didnt even need any tools to remove. the new bearing presses on the axle shaft. it goes: retainer plate, seal, bearing ("flange" side towards the seal), and lastly the retaining ring. the existing bearing and retaining ring need to be either pressed or cut off the axle shaft, they're on there good. if you choose to cut them off, just cut a slit the width of it, just shy of cutting into the shaft (DONT cut too deep and hit the shaft!). using a chissle or large screwdriver and hammering it into the slit you just cut will likely split the bearing and retaining ring at the cut and you will be able to easily remove them if you leave the screwdriver or chissle wedged in them.

Back