• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How many degrees gained from a 1" Tcase drop?

Boost_Retard

NAXJA Forum User
anyone have a # for me? just trying to get an idea of what it might take to make up for 2 degrees.

1" seems like a common drop height so i figure someone around here might have before and after numbers.

thanks

my transfercase as installed by the factory, sits with the output pointing downward at a 4 degree angle, same angle before and after the lift.

problem is now my pinion is pointing upwards at a 6 degree angle. not the same as before the lift

i could install some 2-3 degree shims at the axle, but the way i look at it, that will be bringing my U joints even deeper into the overlimit operating angle even though it is getting my rear driveline yokes closer to or right at parallel

i am just trying to get a rough idea of how much lower (in degrees) a 96+ t case output would be sitting after a 1 inch lowering kit, i would imagine that 1" lower would result in much more than the 2 degrees i am after, possibly someone on here measured the yoke angle before and after lowering the t case..

maybe my logic is off, but i was figuring that if i could lower my T case as little as possible to gain the 2 degrees i am after, my rear u joints would like it more than if i was to loose my 2 degrees from using shims.

i understand that all jeeps are not created equal, and that its best for me to make a few different size shims and try it all out for myself. but i thought i would ask anyhow.

i know ppl are going to say SYE and yes i agree, but i need to order that online, have it shipped, pick it up at the border and drive it to my place in canada then install it and set it all up, wich i will do, but for now i am going to replace my old stock U joints and get my angles right on the money so at least i dont have it haunting me while i wait for my SYE parts to arrive

thanks

The t case drop is going to point the front output on the t case up more than it already is which will negatively effect your front drive line angles, possibly resulting in vibes from the front (happened to me, I drove around with no front ds until my Sye showed up).

Just something to think about.

I dont have my Trutrack installed in my 8.8 Rearend yet so i havent bothered installing my SYE yet.

IM just using 3 or 4 washers stacked (about 1/2) inch and if i remember correctly that gave me 1 degree

I meant that it seems to me that the resultant angle correction was lift height dependent.

It seems to me that to get the angles to work out, you will need to actually measure the TC and Axle DS to yoke angles, then figure out what gets them equal and opposite without complicating things. My bet is that you will end up using shims on the rear to dial out some of that increased pinion angle.

all right, thanks for the help everyone. I will spend a few hours messing with shims and spacers ASAP, everything felt good when i bolted the lift up, but now...not so much, worn out u joints and a clunking yoke

i dont have any front vibes so i will try and stay away from the t case drop for now.

Tacedaddy, not sure if you have used a truetrac before or not, but i just had some installed front and rear in my jeep, they are fantastic! coming from a welded/locked suzuki....its night and day difference on the road (obviously) and for the type of off roading i do, the truetracs have gotten me everywhere i have tried to get to, without slipping a tire for the most part! just drive to the trail and straight into the bush without thinking twice. dont even know they are installed untill ya realize your motoring over things that no open diff vehicle would even think of. the thing i like most about them is the fact that i can snake between the trees and rocks on the super tight "quad" trails just like im driving an open diff vehicle that happens to have tons of traction. i am very happy i decided to go with the truetracs

i had also read a bunch of mixed reviews on them..they work great forward and reverse, dont make any noise, and operate unnoticed.Plus you can get them dirt cheap from summit,

Back