• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel level sender/sensor

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
What is the part # for a 1997 fuel level sender/sensor? Can't find one for the life of me...

Mine has gone wonky. I read that it was a fairly common occurrence in the 97's, just can't find where to buy the part.

I get this....

Fuel Pump and Sending Unit 4.0L (ERH) Engine 1997 XJ
LEVEL UNIT, Fuel #4856 913

Might try NAPA, I know they carry the pump separately.... Maybe they have the sender as well....

That says it's a pump module, and only shows a pump and screens, so I would assume it's not the fuel level sender.

Spent about 5 minutes Googling and checking NAPA, Rockauto, and Mopar parts sites. 4WDH says it's 99-01, but I wouldn't trust that much. The one Mopar site lists the number that Mudbutt gave you in the alternate part numbers, while the other says the old part numbers have been superceded.
All other listings include the "new" part number, and are associated with a wide range of vehicles (Typical DCPJ... same part on 10 different cars with 20 different part numbers for it). A quick call to the parts department at a dealership should confirm the old and new numbers, which will make finding one much easier.

http://www.factorychryslerparts.com...l--Fuel-Level-Circuit/4423293/CBK17552AB.html

http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Engine-Perf...spx?t_c=74&t_s=433&t_pt=7986&t_pn=JEPCBK17552

http://www.trademotion.com/parts/19...FUEL SYSTEM COMPONENTS&component=Level sensor

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/fuel-level-unit-cbk17552.html

I'm baffled that all the other sites list the part at $125+ and the Trademotion only $30... what gives?

And did you find the part by googling it under a different year? When I put in 1997 fuel pump sender, I just kept getting O2 sensors + fuel pump assemblies.

I got a fuel pump assembly for my 99 cherokee from canadapartsonline for around $100. Works good except the sending unit was missing a couple of tabs to hold the float to the sending unit. Wrapped a small wire tie so they move together and haven't had a problem since.

I'm baffled that all the other sites list the part at $125+ and the Trademotion only $30... what gives?

And did you find the part by googling it under a different year? When I put in 1997 fuel pump sender, I just kept getting O2 sensors + fuel pump assemblies.

Hard to say with any certainty why the pricing is so different, but usually it's due to brand and how many they're moving. If the first listing I linked is right, there are probably tens of millions of cars with that same sending unit, so they probably move quite a few at that price.

I Googled "1997 jeep cherokee fuel level sending unit", which brought up too many garbage returns. Since the factory number and description mudbutt gave you don't include the words sender or sending, I Googled just "1997 Jeep Cherokee fuel level". First return under second search was Morris4x4's listing with a different number. Googled the new number, clicked "Shopping" so I'd only see parts listings, and not forum threads, and then it's just a matter of checking the first few returns to see if the new number is cross referenced to the old number.

Last edited:
Is it too big a pain to pull the unit, and possibly clean the windings on the sender? I'm not too familiar with the '97+ pump/sending unit, but if it's anything like the '96-'98 ZJ piece, it just may be dirty. I went through that with my '98 ZJ, the sender wires were dirty, and the wiper was making poor contact due to the scum. The pump went at about this time, due to the scum on the filter screen. At 60k miles. The dealer blamed it on the brand of gasoline I used, dissolving the tank. The gas people said it was the poly tank degrading due to poor quality. Was turning into a pissing match. I got rid of it.

If you're committed to dropping the tank (I think you have to?), maybe clean the windings with electrical contact cleaner, if it appears to be dirty. Clean the screen, too. Maybe you don't need to buy new, especially if the pump motor works OK. Just a thought...

Back