• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Piece of mind or not broke don't fix it?

dave92cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I already have the entire interior stripped out of my jeep with the exception of the HVAC box. I will be pulling it when the weather permits and removing the foam padding behind it in prep for sound deadening. My question is it's a 93 country and the heat works fine, no leaks or anything and the a/c is weak due to probably needing recharging. While I have the hvac box out should I go ahead and replace the heater core and evap core just for piece of mind knowing that it's been done or just leave it be? If replacing is best idea any particular brands or types better than others or is the oreilly's model fine?

for the amount of work that its supposed to be to change the htr core, if youre already there.. just do it.. or kick yourself later. you know it will go after youve got it all back together.

I've looked at a few different aftermarket heater core assemblies and most look like total crap. I'd have the local radiator shop test one out before going through all the work to swap one in.

I'm thinking I'm going to, I've been looking around and the 97+ xj's have the problem with the hvac foam gasket going bad allowing it to leak and such. Does anyone have a part number for the foam gaskets for the 96- style box or are the two gasket sets the same? Wanting to do some preventative maintenance while I've got it stripped apart that far.

I did mine a few months back. If you're in there, DO IT! I used the spectra premium heater core and evaporator, and the four seasons gasket/oring kit. Everything looked of decent quality and fit like a glove. I also went to Home Depot and bought some foam tubing cover, that super high density stuff they put over pipes. Layed it flat, cut to fit, worked like a champ.

I've been looking but not finding anything, got a part number for the gasket/oring kit?

Called the dealership to find a part number for the foam pieces and they said they no longer exist. They told me that they usually get some foam stuff from the hardware store to use as a replacement. Nasty weather this weekend so will check lowes to see what might be a suitable use.

Back