• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replaced my brakes, now I can't stop...?

N8N_99xj

NAXJA Forum User
Did I make a poor choice of pads, or get air in my HCU? Just finished pressure-bleeding the brakes on my '99 (with ABS, obviously) - just replaced rotors and pads, used Centric "premium" rotors and Performance Friction "Carbon Metallic" pads. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary other than it seemed to me that the fluid was flowing awful slowly through the bleeder screws (had bleeder pumped up to about 15 PSI.) Brakes worked fine before although they required what I thought was a lot of leg to stop the vehicle, but I figured that was a) because XJs apparently have notoriously poor brakes and b) who knows what pads were on there before? Well now I just finished bleeding and took a couple laps around the neighborhood stopping hard a few times from about 30 MPH or so to bed the pads in. I still can't lock the brakes at 30 MPH (cool, dry) even though I can easily spin the tires in 2WD if there's only a little water on the ground. The pedal feels squishier than it did before as well, even though the only time that I opened the bleeders was to press the pistons back into the calipers. (I've always been told that if you have ABS you shouldn't ever push brake fluid back towards the MC to avoid gunking up the HCU.) The brakes felt pretty awful on a test drive last night, so I bled them tonight, they might feel slightly better or it might be my imagination.

I'm tempted to take it to a shop and have them rebleed with a scan tool to rule that out, but did I screw up by getting the PF pads? Upon searching it seems that the only pads that are really well regarded for XJs are the EBC Yellows and "Black Magic" but both are around $130 a set...?

I'm also wondering if I need new hoses - when using a pressure bleeder on an XJ, if you open the bleeders wide, do you get a real forceful stream or just a dribble?

I'm wondering if I need new hoses or something else, although I would think I'd see dragging if I had constricted hoses. In any case unless someone comes up with a good idea I might be taking it to a shop because I don't have a DRB III

opinions?

Just a few comments, I have the "PF" pads on EBC rotors,I note that cold the stopping power is a little weak,but get the heat in them and that all changes.
The wife,s XJ has EBC rotors and the EBC pads,,,it stops -right NOW.

ABS systems require different bleeding procedures than regular brake systems.

ABS systems are designed to "NOT lock up wheels"....

sounds to me like there's air in one of the calipers. I'd say research the recommended way to bleed the system and be patient. I've never heard of needing a scan tool to bleed the brakes.

It's super easy to get air into the caliper when you open the bleeder to compress the caliper and not realize it. I was told by the shop foreman at the local Ford dealership that you don't need to worry about pushing the fluid backwards thru the system, even on the new 2010, 11, and 12 vehicles.

I've had the PF pads on my 94 XJ for years, and it stops fairly well, enough that I could probably smear myself on the windshield.

I'd also suspect that you've still got an air bubble somewhere.

Ok thanks guys, just wanted reassurance that I wasn't expecting too much. When I say I can't lock them up I meant of course that o can't get ABS activity. I suspect I need new hoses because fluid flow was real slow when bleeding at all four wheels - and I didn't do anything to rear other than bleed. Maybe it's time to let shop take over... I'll probably go ahead and finish changing all the fluids before I take it in so I might not post update for a while.

Back