• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

snow tracks

moneypit_k5

NAXJA Forum User
anybody have experience with them as replacements for tires? I think the concept would fit my needs quite well, but there are so many different styles and configurations out there.

this particular design seems very simple, it uses snowmobile parts. im curious how side scrub would be while turning the fronts, if you would run the risk of derailing a track.

im also curious about weight distribution, if it would perform as well a a snowmobile in terms of flotation.

ATT-97-Cherokee-white-002.jpg

I have no info.... That's badass!!!

I would want selectable lockers for using those.

Tracks,tires or tits their all going to be a problem sooner or later!

I work on tracked vehicles all the time. Where I work they have matraxx sp? On trailers and the rollers always go bad and replacement tracks are $$$$

Dave

good info dave. the pic i posted is a company called american track truck. they use common snowmobile parts readily available for cheap. they are actually a much simpler design than mattrack, but also cost less than 1/3 of the money. (9k vs. 30k)

i think i can actually build some for closer to 3k, which would suit me swell.

that thread is sweet cody, he did the same thing im envisioning with the hub/ spindle assembly. im going to build my frame a little differently though.

using a wheel as a base is a good idea too, that will cut down on cnc fab costs significantly.

I have no personal experience with them but I have heard that putting tracks on a rig kills your turning. But I they also said that the Floatian is awsome so there are pro's and cons. I will be watching this good luck.

If you set if up so the tracks up front could turn (hydro steering) and used a rear selectable you shouldn't have to many issues turning. I think the key would be having the rear open while turning.

when you say "it kills turning" what do you mean? as in turning radius or ability to turn the wheel?

Ive heard your radius is shot with tracks. doesnt bother me too much, snow is forgiving with regard to 10 pt turns.

after talking to a few manufacturers, the general consensus is that you dont turn when stopped. once the tracks are moving, the steering feels nearly as light as with tires.

To answer a ? with a ?, what do you mean to wheel?

Are you driving snowy graded dirt roads?

Or are you trying to crawl on snow/rocks?

Just traveling in deep deep snow. no road time. I anticipate occasional contact with whatever may be lurking beneath the surface, but primarily just lots of snow.

We do alot of snow camping/ exploring, and snowmobiles play a big role. We plan to replace the sleds with several jeeps on tracks.

The costs and hassle associated with the sleds just sucks. I think it would be a win win if the jeeps could replace them, as jeep maintenance is already factored into the budget.

Back