• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ball joints loose until I add grease

XJensen

NAXJA Forum User
So I assume they are shot and intend to replace them but am curious.

I replaced my ball joints, I could not get spicer or moog at the short notice so they are some foreign job. They are greasable with fittings and the drivers upper developed some movement.

The catch is I put grease in it and it firmed up. I have not had a test drive since then but I would imagine it will quickly loosen up again.

Am I right and they are shot or is it normal for them to have play if low on grease too? I cant remember for sure but I think I remember them having a little play before I greased them when I first installed them.

They have less than 10K on them.

Thanks,

Josh

Well, how loose are they? There is a certain amount of play they will have when un-greased. Personally I don't like the knock off brand stuff, I've always used Moog, but I can understand if you were in a pinch. I would say use your best judgement, if you think they are unsafe, replace them.

If they were loose pregrease, then just as soon as the grease gets shoved out by the slop they will be loose again.

I would ask how you tested them. I use a pry bar and gently apply pressure at the joint. there should not be any movement except rotation. Some parts it just pays top buy the best. Suspension parts fall into that catagory. You were in a position of need, now you have time to shop for the best price on the good parts.

If they were loose pregrease, then just as soon as the grease gets shoved out by the slop they will be loose again.

Thats what I figured, just thought it was strange they were so loose and just adding grease made them tight.

I bought spicer replacements and am half way done with one side. I tested them by grabing the knuckle and pushing/pulling.

Josh

Back