• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long Start Time

RenegadeStang

NAXJA Forum User
'98 XJ: 4.0L, AW4

Went wheelin' on Saturday. There was some muddy water involved. Since Sunday morning, I've been having an extended starting time. Before, the XJ would start right up. Since Sunday morning, it usually takes about 5 or more seconds of cranking for the XJ to start. Sometimes I'll hold the key and it won't start, but if I turn the key back off and then turn it to crank again, the engine fires right up. I'm guessing it's either fuel or fire, maybe something with the CKPS? Any ideas? After it starts, it runs just fine.

How deep in the water did you go? Might want to check the distributor/cap for moisture. Also, extended crank times and not starting the first try but usually the second are symptoms of a failing check valve in the fuel system. Try turning the key on and off a few times (priming the fuel pump) and then crank it over. If it starts right up then your fuel check valve is bad. Its a common problem on 97+.

Me and one of the other techs at work hooked up a fuel pressure gauge to the rail this morning. Running ~50 psi at idle, but as soon as I switched it off...ZERO! Looks like I'll be dropping the tank here in the near future. Hooray! LOL

So, since everything works except for the check valve, what are y'all's thoughts on just replacing the pump? Bosch offers just a fuel pump ($90) as well as the assembly ($320).

Back