• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlights stay on after H4 Upgrade

Portjeep

NAXJA Forum User
I upgraded my 99 XJ headlights today with a set of H4 6000k bulbs and new plug n pay harness plus control relay and ballasts.

All went ok, couple of mods needed to the new open beam projectors so they fit the base units but nothing too complex.

The whole system is plugged to the existing harness connector on the right hand side for the control functions simply so that the control relay is near the battery for its power source. (as recommended). The left side connector is now redundant.

All works fine hi and lo function as they should, BUT when I switch the lights off they stay on.

Any ideas?

The XJ is a RHD model

Sounds as though there is voltage back feeding thru the circuit holding the relay(s) closed; check the new harness to ensure there are no wiring problems....

Thanks Garr, will try this in the morning, I'm in Scotland so time for bed now lol!

I believe fuses 3 and 4 control your left headlight, unplug those and see if that helps you out.

Thanks for the advice all. I'm going to try flashing the lights today to see and then remove fog fuses ( my fogs don't work anyhow and are next up for an upgrade so no probs)

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1056442 is about a slightly different issue but post #4 maybe of interest as it points to the factory fogs causing issues as the residual voltage can keep relays from doing what they should.

Sounds like a variant on the link you gave the_weirdo

This sounds a little like CharlesS reply.

Keep you posted

OK so all solved now, thanks for the help and tips, it all pointed me in the right direction.

So to sum up I tried flashing the headlights with the switch off - no difference, but by chance I flicked them back onto full beam proper and they went off. Did some more testing and this was always the case, in fact if they were already on full beam when you switched off then the lights switched off too. So result of a sort at least there was a workaround.

Now I used some of the pointers in the linked posts. I then removed the relay for the fogs in the PDC.

Now everything works exactly as it should. Well except for the fogs, but as I said they were u/s in the first place and will be the subject of another wee upgrade.

Thanks again!

OK so all solved now, thanks for the help and tips, it all pointed me in the right direction.

So to sum up I tried flashing the headlights with the switch off - no difference, but by chance I flicked them back onto full beam proper and they went off. Did some more testing and this was always the case, in fact if they were already on full beam when you switched off then the lights switched off too. So result of a sort at least there was a workaround.

Now I used some of the pointers in the linked posts. I then removed the relay for the fogs in the PDC.

Now everything works exactly as it should. Well except for the fogs, but as I said they were u/s in the first place and will be the subject of another wee upgrade.

Thanks again!

Ah yes, forgot about the fog relay!

Back