• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

finding stock rear shock mounts?

spdyracer

NAXJA Forum User
i just bought a dana 44 and the stock shock mounts have been cut in half and welded back together, i have no idea why. i don't like the looks of the welds and would rather just get new mounts, cut the old ones off and weld new ones on. i would like to keep the stock mounts and my question is where can i find some. all i can find is the relocation brackets which i don't want. any place selling stock mounts?

like 94xj said, they were probably cut down about an inch or more because stock shock mounts are like 4 inches long, and you lose all that clearance... I cut mine off at the axle and then cut them down 2" and reshaped them on an 8.25 im building to get more clearance... do they look about this long?

_DSC1335.jpg

M.O.R.E. has them.
_1266988516.jpg

When I swapped in my 29-spl 8.25 one of the shock mounts was broken off. So, I had the stock ones from my Turdy5 cut off, trimmed up and welded flush with the axle tube. Is done for more clearance. Depending on how much travel you want without going thru the floor with your shocks, slightly raised may work better. Ruffstuff, Tnt, etc make aftermarket mounts.

i was really looking for stock mounts just because what johnnie walker said i dont want to worry about the shocks i have being too long with shorter mounts. the m.o.r.e. look good i would just worry about my shocks bottoming out. am i being too concerned about that?

honestly, you have not stated whether this is a dd or trail rig, dual purpose etc... 3" of up travel in the rear is plenty, check your shocks now and see what your working with (how much shoch piston is showing) I run a 6" lift shock on a 3" lift and have 4" up travel WITH raised mounts

honestly, you have not stated whether this is a dd or trail rig, dual purpose etc... 3" of up travel in the rear is plenty, check your shocks now and see what your working with (how much shoch piston is showing) I run a 6" lift shock on a 3" lift and have 4" up travel WITH raised mounts

i drive it on the road about once a week and take it offroading once or twice a month.

IMAG0479.jpg

I have about 3.5" lift in rear. After I did the swap, and had lots of weight in the back, my "lift" shocks only had about 1" uptravel. I found a pair of Monroe Sensa-tracs stock length on ebay for cheap. It is what works for me. Compressed they are about 12.3" and full ext they are 20"-ish. They work great, have been off-road with them and no problems. I have extended rear bumpstop extensions and 31's.
As long as the welds are good, or if they arent, I would run some higher shock mounts vs stock location. All you need to do is measure what your shock length at ride height is , and find a shock that will work and give you travel.

i have 4" of travel at ride height right now before it would hit the rubber bump stop on the shock. if i put on some 3" shorter shock hangers that would only leave me with about an 1" of travel so if i did that im guessing i would need to get new shocks also? thats what im trying to avoid. let me know if this is correct.

i have 4" of travel at ride height right now before it would hit the rubber bump stop on the shock. if i put on some 3" shorter shock hangers that would only leave me with about an 1" of travel so if i did that im guessing i would need to get new shocks also? thats what im trying to avoid. let me know if this is correct.

Yes. Some people need the clearance, some dont, some dont care... If you need the clearance for trails you do with your rig now, buying 2 shocks at $20-$60 a piece shouldnt be a big deal.

4" total or 4" up-travel?

Back