• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Budget Build

outracing

NAXJA Forum User
So I was unsure if I should post my build thread, after reading what alot of you have done in the ways of restoring/building up your XJ's what I have done, is very minor. However, here I am, I am still proud of my Jeep, and I think she will serve me well for some time to come.

Here she is the day that I brought her home. The previous owner totalled her by putting it in a ditch, this is the only photo that I have of day one, but the doors are dented, and it had a blown brake line. I had to get it home on a trailer. 1999 with 88,523 miles on it not an 0331, so the head should last. Purchase Price -- $1,000

I purchased this because it had low miles and I wanted something cheep to plow with. I had seen XJ's out plowing snow, and they did quite well. I started in my fixing the body. There was little rust and very suprizing, the rockers were in good shape. I purchased a "doner" jeep to get the doors and hatch from, and started work...

2011-10-07_17-44-42_251.jpg

Progress was slow, and the cheep paint that I had picked out had good coverage, but was difficult to spray. Cost for paint AND primer -- less then $200

2011-10-10_12-12-23_45.jpg

All painted up and looking good. The doner that I puchased for $600 had tinted windows and heated mirrors, so as a bonus, now the daily driver has tinted windows and heated mirrors.

2011-10-25_15-06-54_452.jpg

I didn't take any pictures of this point, but you clearly see, the rear end was sagging, and the front took a dive when I placed the western snow plow on it. To combat this problem, I decided that a set of spring packs from a 2000 dakota would fix up the rear end, purchased at pull a part for $60. Some "new old stock" springs for a 1968 Ford F350 were purchased at Summit for $45. Now she can hold the plow up and not be afraid to drive over speed bumps. Final lift 4.5". (Yes, an AA SYE kit was installed with the front shaft from a Grand Cherokee) I'll just have to do something about those tiny tires. lol

2011-11-28_21-31-51_332.jpg

Last edited:
A quick craigslist search found me a set of liberty wheels, I got all five tires and wheels for $200

The tires are still over 50% and look MUCH better in person. At any rate, this is how she is setting currently.

2011-12-26_16-10-54_24.jpg

That other head light got replaced, it is not yellow any more.

2011-12-26_15-31-33_456.jpg

So, there she is, let me know what you think, or if you have any suggestions on what else I can do. I'll be looking around on NAXJA looking at what other people have done, and getting ideas for what else I can do.

I also have alot of parts left from the doner jeep, if you need something, let me know via PM.

looks great, you should be proud! anyone could fix up a jeep, but it takes some effort and inginuity to do it for cheap.

Very nice looking. What was your total cost to date on the build?

Looks good, what did you do for the trackbar when you lifted it? Also do you have a advanced auto part number for those longer sway bar links?

Looking very nice, great job on the paint. I suggest upgrading the brakes with better pads/rotors in the front and all long brake shoes in the rear. Also a heavy duty tranny cooler might be good for when you are plowing snow. Nice rig! :thumbup:

1985xjlaredo, The jeep was 1000
Paint, primer and clear 200 purchased on amazon.com (duplicolor paint system bsp209)
SYE Kit on sale 180
replacement drive shaft 20
the doner jeep was 600
spring packs 60
coil springs 45
shocks 50
sway links 20
tires and wheels 200
Total Invested 2375

Sold 800 dollars so far in parts from doner jeep 2375-800=1500
still have lots of parts left as well as scrap value of doner

Total cost = $1500 and falling

Last edited:
dave92cherokee, I still have the factory trackbar, I gave it a tape measure alignment to keep it moving straight. I took it into conrads yesterday to have an alignment done. That was 90 bucks, but everything was already in spec after the tape measure alignment.

It took some digging, but I found the rockauto part number I used for the sway links they are DEEZA brand part number FOL704, before you purchase them, go to www.retailmenot.com and get a coupon code, I got 5% off and free shipping that way.

Thanks Vanimal, they are factory liberty wheels from an '06 liberty. There is no rub anywhere along the entire travel of the steering range or even hitting bumps while transporting the snow plow.

16" Jeep Liberty Renegade wheel

Wheel Size: 16x7"
Bolt Pattern: 5x4.5"
Backspacing: 5.5"
Offset: 38mm

dave92cherokee, I still have the factory trackbar, I gave it a tape measure alignment to keep it moving straight. I took it into conrads yesterday to have an alignment done. That was 90 bucks, but everything was already in spec after the tape measure alignment.

It took some digging, but I found the rockauto part number I used for the sway links they are DEEZA brand part number FOL704, before you purchase them, go to www.retailmenot.com and get a coupon code, I got 5% off and free shipping that way.

Thanks for the heads up on that and for anyone going to the JY's looking the vehicle that uses those links are early 90's Ford F250 in the rear. Can be bought from rock auto or local parts houses with the vehicle info. I looked it up using 1995 Ford F250 5.8L V8.

outracing- I would highly suggest replacing the track bar with a new adjustable unit as with having 4.5" of lift the axle is probably shifted to the side a few inches. The jeep may be in alignment but the axle is off centered and will cause parts to wear faster.

Back