• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Smoke Testing EVAP System

oldbill

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone here made their own smoke machine for testing EVAP systems? If so would you be willing to share your plans, instructions, pictures?

Also I've heard both that you can use shop air (just keep the pressure low), and no that you must use an inert gas like Nitrogen. Any comments or experiences on this issue? At this point in time I'm having a problem with the issue that shop air will introduce too much oxygen into the system and make it ripe for an explosion. The EVAP system introduces compressed air itself to check the system.

Thanks,
Bill

I set my compressor's regulator to 20 psi and then run it through a second, low-pressure regulator set to 2-psi. The Factory calls for 1-1/2-psi.
I find blowing air into the evap system is enough to find leaks. Many times you can hear the leak. If not, use soapy water, in a spray bottle, to pinpoint the leak.
Be careful not to raise the pressure too much since the fuel tank is being pressurized. You wouldn't want to pop the tank.
I see no reason why you would need to use nitrogen or any other gas other than regular air; it's what is already in the system.

images

Here's my smoke testing machine. Works like a charm. No, seriously...I have a stogy like this in my toolbox just for such occasions. I don't smoke.

images

Here's my smoke testing machine. Works like a charm. No, seriously...I have a stogy like this in my toolbox just for such occasions. I don't smoke.

I find myself replacing this device on a regular basis. ;)

Back