• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

problem with O2 sensor.

dcampbell98XJ

NAXJA Forum User
so i am in the process of trying to change out my upstream O2 sensor. i wasnt throwing any CEL but it stuttered and had an idle issue with a cold start up. i bought a new sensor and have been trying to change it. the Damn thing is seized on there so tight i cannot get it off. I have an O2 sensor socket set and for the past week i have been spraying it down with PB blaster DAILY. since i have started with the PB blaster now the CEL comes on. i clear the code everyday with my scanner. I still cant get it off and iv yanked on it so hard with the socket and breaker bar that it finally stripped out. What should i do? Take a torch to it?

Heat the bung that the sensor screws into. Get it red hot and it will come out. If need be use a pipe wrench on it .The hotter the better. Try unscrewing while red hot that works the best. If using a propane torch it may take as much as 10 minutes to get it hot enough.
Good Luck
Ron

thats what i thought i have access to a oxi torch at work, ill just have to climb under and heat the piss out of it

if this is a sign of things to come with me replacing things on the XJ im gunna need more beer. ordering my lift in a week or 2 maybe ill wait till spring

Are you trying to remove it after the engine has fully warmed up? Because that is when they come out nice and easy.

Be prepared, the one time I tried pulling the upstream o2 with a cold pipe, I stripped the bung and had to replace the down pipe.

yeah it was at running temp. tried to break it free right after my 20 mile drive home

Back