• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The Infamous "Front Spring Measurement" question?

XJRED99

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, before anyone tells me to search, I have. I know that determining the lift you have is measureing from center axle to bottom of the flair. The question I have is if there is anyway to determine what the lift was from measureing a spring that has been removed from the vehicle? Today I pulled 2 front springs,
2 greaseable LCA's and a trac bar with drop bracket. The LCA's are the same measurement as the stocks from bolt center to bolt center, but they are greaseable. Does anyone have any idea if there is anyway to determine how much lift this XJ might have had? I am guessing the 3-4.5?

J

because of the various spring rates... its almost impossible if you factor in the fact that we dont know how long they were on the vehicle before you pulled them. if it was sitting under its own weight, you should have measured before removing the springs.

as for the LCAs being the same length as stock. my RE super flex are the same length as stock too. they are greasable, like you said. and the bottom mount is offset so that it doesnt hit the coil bucker at full droop. stronger than stock too.

Different coil spring rates mean that two springs at the same uncompressed height could make the vehicle sit at two totally different heights.

Are the upper control arms the same length as stock (or are they stock)?

The uppers were stock. The local wrecking yard takes the wheels and tires off and rests the vehicle on used steel rims. so the vehicle wasn't on it own weight. I saw the vehicle before they put it to rest and saw that the vehicle was sitting on atleast 32 inch tires and had what appeared to be 3" blocks underneath the rear springs. That is why I think that is is atleast a 3" lift. but I also couldn't tell if there was an aftermarket shackle. I understand that spring rates differ but would the overall length of the spring also be a determining factor. By reading up on sites like Rusty's it seemed the the spring rates were more for ride and excessive weight in the front end like aftermarket bumpers. Is this not correct?

J

No, for example i had a set of Rancho springs i pulled out of a junkyard that were about the same uncompressed length as the stock springs. They added 3" of lift because they were so stiff. They also made my Jeep ride like a truck.
Are there any part numbers on the springs that you could find?
I would assume 2-3". I don't think you can go much more on stock length control arms without causing vibes.

Does anyone know of a kit that came with blocks in the back, 3"springs, greaseable LCA's and a drop bracket for the track bar? I had another XJ that had 3" springs and an AAL on the back. It had stock controls, no drop bracket on the track bar and no transfer case drop. I am sure we might all agree on the 3"'s. Is there any reason to think of 4-4.5"?

If it is the 3" then my goal is to use the 3" springs with the 2"spacers already on my current jeep and build a bastard pack w/XJ and S10 parts for the rear with a schackle if needed. With todays economy budget is key. Thanks in advance for all the replys.

J

Per FSM for '88 Cherokee, you measure the distance from the top of the front axle tube, near the inner "C", to the bottom of the frame rail directly above it. The stock measurement should be 6.75+-.5 inches. For the rear height, measure from the top of the axle tube to the bottom of the frame, next to, and on the inside of, the bump stop. This should be 6.0+-.5 inches.

Back