• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Temperature sensors

Tryfan

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2001 XJ AW4, 4.0 I6, AC. I know there is a temperature sensor in the thermostat housing but is there another one somewhere else. If there are two sensors, where does each sensor send its signal?

The sender on the thermostat housing is for the computer

The sender on the drivers side rear of the head is for the gauge/dummy light

There is also an Intake Manifold Air Temperature Sensor (IAT), mounted on the intake manifold.

The IAT sensor provides an input voltage to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) indicating the density of the air entering the intake manifold based
upon intake manifold temperature. At key-on, a 5–volt power circuit is supplied to the sensor from the PCM. The sensor is grounded at the PCM
through a low-noise, sensor-return circuit. The PCM uses this input to calculate the following:

• Injector pulse-width

[*]
    Adjustment of spark timing (to help prevent spark knock with high intake manifold air-charge temperatures)
The resistance values of the IAT sensor is the same as for the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor​

Back