• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear bumper mount holes?i

xj bmx

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know off hand the dimensions of the rear bumper mount plates, I need the largest outside diameter and hole location, at the moment it's to cold to screw around outside trying to get my bumper off and get the measurements.

Stock mount is 6" wide 4" high
Bolts are approx 4 1/2" center to center left to right, 2 1/2 top to bottom...
Whatcha up to?
My back end is off and I just opened my rails for 2x4 if you need depths, ect.

Stock mount is 6" wide 4" high
Bolts are approx 4 1/2" center to center left to right, 2 1/2 top to bottom...
Whatcha up to?
My back end is off and I just opened my rails for 2x4 if you need depths, ect.

I'm starting to build a rear bumper for winter, and since it's some what slow here at work I'm going to give our laser programer some dimension so I can just cut what I need instead of screwing with a grinder.

I do plan on the same thing as you with a piece of 2"x4" tube in the rails, thats why I want the plates s big as will fit.

Yeah, I spent some time with the grinder today and it was tedious. Cutting out the end and the shackle bolt took all of a few minutes. Rest of the time I spent cutting the tube. I went with 1/4" and in hindsight its a bit beefier than I need.

Ya I'm trying to keep the weight down on my rig and just beef only where needed with tricks I've learned from the BMX world.

What are you making your bumper out of?

2x4x.25 tube for the arms, center section will also be 2x4x.25. Then a mix of 1.75 and 1.5x .120 wall DOM for the corner sections. I am planning to add a tire carrier down the road, and I want more rear protection than a tube only bumper seems to offer. In hindsight I think 3/16 for the arms and tube would probably have been more than sufficent for me.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=993533

this is a link to a bumper build by foxwar71... I liked the way he did the mounting ect. looks nice and beefy.

this is a link to a bumper build by foxwar71... I liked the way he did the mounting ect. looks nice and beefy.

I was gunna come in here and insert my $0.02, but I got beat to it already :cheers:

I know theres some images floating around somewhere in the depths of NAXJA that has detailed diamentions, but I cant find it right now. I know AJ Armor has THESE do-it-youself plates for the mounts too. To be honest, my first rear bumper linked above doesnt even tie into any of the stock holes. Just 5 1/2" Gr8 bolts per side on the bottom of the framerails. Never had a problem and trust it plenty.

My DD XJ has a new rear bumper that also has my beefy mounts, excepted with a stock bumper skin on it. I added some simple tabs off the sides of the 2x4 to catch the stock mounting holes. Its got something like 18 total of 1/2" Gr8 & 10.9 12mm bolts holding it on.

33krog7.jpg

r0nxx4.jpg

2ik860.jpg

28bwcxx.jpg

I was going to ask you how it held up without mounting to the four stocker holes. As I was lining things up this afternoon I started to wonder how much It would really be nessesary to hit those? It seemed like the 10 bolts sandwiching the 2x4 the frame and the factory skid would be plenty strong? Did you have concerns with side pulls?

As I was lining things up this afternoon I started to wonder how much It would really be nessesary to hit those?

Thats exactly how my thought process went too. I feel the sandwiching effort of the mounts and framerails combined with the over-beef makes the back end MUCH more rigid. I never worried about pulling with it. Hell, look at most hitches, they have 4 bolts per side on the bottom and people trust them plenty.

I suppose. I hauled some overloaded oversized uhaul trailer from Indy... wheelied all the way to wisconsin... never thought, hmm I wonder if my bumper is goin to fall off.

Last edited:
Ya I saw ajs parts but tats the easiest part for me to make haha.

Im planing on useing the 8 stock holes and the in the frame tubes but like foxwar sorta prooved it may not be necessary to use them.

There a build thread of an orange jeep (the jeep on the JCR site with the fancy cage) and he made his rear bumper to use both stock holes and frame holes i believe, but I can't find it atm.

Ya I saw ajs parts but tats the easiest part for me to make haha.

Im planing on useing the 8 stock holes and the in the frame tubes but like foxwar sorta prooved it may not be necessary to use them.

There a build thread of an orange jeep (the jeep on the JCR site with the fancy cage) and he made his rear bumper to use both stock holes and frame holes i believe, but I can't find it atm.

I believe you are looking for JohnD on here.

Ross-

I really like that bumper design for your DD XJ. How did you attach the stock bumper cover to your bumper?

The skin is just welded to the mounts, the ends of the 2x4 were notched to fit the skin and fully welded. The lip on the back of the stock bumper sits right on top of the 2x2 going across and is welded there too. D-ring tabs also got welded on the inside and outside too.

my bumper mounts inside the frame rail as well. i went with 2x4x1/4 box tube, but in hind sight if i was to do it again i would end up using 2x3x3/16. it would make installing and removing the bumper easier- i moved the bumper to a new jeep following a body swap and also modified the bumper a little.

dont forget you will have to accommodate the fuel line fill hose on the drivers side and the nut plate thats welded to the frame rail on the bottom of the pass side.

a6890ed1-cae8-af67.jpg
a6890ed1-cb00-47bb.jpg
a6890ed1-cb0f-044f.jpg

I did/am doing something similar. My old bumper caused cracks in the rear X-member due to its design. I am actually installing a rigidco bumper that will be welded to the box tube. The tube will get trimmed flush to the stock mounting points, and the rigidco stock mounts welded to the tube. The nutserts will be tacked inside the tube. The rigidco design will then sandwich the frame. I'm gonna make use of both mounting points because my tube is only 1/8" wall thickness, but it will still add beef to the already beefy rigidco system.

Back