• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

purpose of vacuum hose?

Rattle Trap

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1993 Cherokee with a 4.0 six. The vacuum hose located at the rear of the valve cover pan is broken. I just noticed it recently and ordered a new one. I asked the person that works in the parts dept at the dealer and he did not know what it is for. Does anyone know what this does? I never noticed any difference in the way it runs since it has been broken.

This is the crankcase vent hose, as others have pointed out. It's the hose through which (we hope) crankcase fumes will be sucked into the engine's intake. The big hose in front, which might look like the vent hose, is actually the one through which atmospheric air is supposed to enter the crankcase. When the little hose clogs, leaks or otherwise goes bad or missing, it's common for the system to work in reverse and send oil vapor into the air cleaner box.

Upshot: you did well to replace it.

Back