• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help! Jeep wont start

First and foremost, I’m not a mechanic and rarely touch a vehicle unless it’s to change the oil. I have a 2000, 4.0, auto XJ. The Jeep has power, but will not turn over. I haven’t had this problem before. I have 180,000 miles on the Jeep and it has always started and ran fine since I bought it a few years ago. I moved the shifter, jiggled the ignition key, etc. No luck! What could be my problem?

Does the starter engage and make the engine spin ?

Could I have a bad ignition switch?

Any clicking ?

If yes, you probably have a low voltage issue from:
leaving the lights on
a failing battery
a failing alternator
poor wire connections or corroded wires

If no clicking, you probably have a Neutral Safety Switch (NSS) problem. It then needs to be cleaned or replaced and adjusted.

Read this -> http://www.boyandjeep.com/tech-articles/aw4-neutral-start-switch-rebuild

Could I have a bad ignition switch?

Possible, but the other issues are more common and more likely.

Any clicking ?

If yes, you probably have a low voltage issue from:
leaving the lights on
a failing battery
a failing alternator
poor wire connections or corroded wires

If no clicking, you probably have a Neutral Safety Switch (NSS) problem. It then needs to be cleaned or replaced and adjusted.

Read This -> http://www.boyandjeep.com/tech-articles/aw4-neutral-start-switch-rebuild

Possible, but the other issues are more common and more likely.

No clicking sound. I thought the Jeep would still start in Neutral if it were the NSS, true or false?

I had the same problem with mine and it ended up being a sensor that bolts on up buy the flywheel. I dont remember the name of it. I changed about ten things out just trying to track down the problem. but its worth looking at.

I had the same problem with mine and it ended up being a sensor that bolts on up buy the flywheel. I dont remember the name of it. I changed about ten things out just trying to track down the problem. but its worth looking at.

Thanks for the heads-up. Does anyone know what this sensor might be?

Trying to start in neutral or while wiggling the shift lever can work if the neutral safety switch is marginal, but if you have a catastrophic failure of that sensor, it won't help.

I would first freshen all electrical connections, especially removing battery cables and cleaning them and the battery posts until shiny. Check engine grounds too.

Still symptomatic after that, try a quick and easy bypass of the neutral safety switch. How to do it is in this link.

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm

No clicking sound. I thought the Jeep would still start in Neutral if it were the NSS, true or false?

False

You MIGHT be able to put it in neutral and wiggle it a little while turning the key and get it to catch. I could start my 93 like that for awhile but my 97 just flat out died one day with no warning.

If you have to take the NSS off to clean it and it breaks in the process (possible if it's never been off before) then pick up this http://www.carpartswholesale.com/v5...0L/REPJ506402.html/?sc=Product+Listing+Page:1 It's the cheapest I've found a new one for and I've been using mine for a month or two with no problems whatsoever.

I say the starter could be on the way out. Have someone try turning the key while you tap the starter with a hammer. Just something else to try.

Sometimes you get the "click" sometimes you don't. I have gone through a few starters in my time and this is my opinion.

False

You MIGHT be able to put it in neutral and wiggle it a little while turning the key and get it to catch. I could start my 93 like that for awhile but my 97 just flat out died one day with no warning.

Thanks for the clarification.

If you have to take the NSS off to clean it and it breaks in the process (possible if it's never been off before) then pick up this http://www.carpartswholesale.com/v5...0L/REPJ506402.html/?sc=Product+Listing+Page:1 It's the cheapest I've found a new one for and I've been using mine for a month or two with no problems whatsoever.

I’m indebted to you, that’s a really good price. I went ahead and bought one just in case. Even if the problem is my starter, at least I will have this as a backup for when it does go out. For that price, you can’t go wrong. Thanks again.

Trying to start in neutral or while wiggling the shift lever can work if the neutral safety switch is marginal, but if you have a catastrophic failure of that sensor, it won't help.

I would first freshen all electrical connections, especially removing battery cables and cleaning them and the battery posts until shiny. Check engine grounds too.

Still symptomatic after that, try a quick and easy bypass of the neutral safety switch. How to do it is in this link.

http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoNSSrebuild.htm

I cleaned the battery posts but wasn't sure where the engine grounds were located.

Excellent write-up! For the low cost of a new NSS, I decided to go that route. At the moment, I have more money than time. Thanks for posting the link.

He's refering to the CPS. That sensor alone will not cause a No-Crank problem.

Thanks for the clarification, that's one more probability that I can mark off the list.

Sometimes you get the "click" sometimes you don't. I have gone through a few starters in my time and this is my opinion.

You never know. In the even that it’s the starter, is there a recommended place to buy a good one?

I had a friend tow me into town to the local mechanic. I was up towards the mountain when my Jeep wouldn’t start, so you can imagine how much fun it was being towed with no power steering or power brakes. Anyway, it’s setting at the shop and hope to know something next week when the shop is open.

And the winner is: 85xjwoody!

The starter was bad.

Back