• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reptar

Gold Cobra

NAXJA Forum User
Reptar is a 1998 4.0 4x4 Ford Explorer that was given to me by my Grandpa. The transmission went out in 2007 so he had it rebuilt. It went out again on him in 2009, so he parked it out in the field and bought a new one. After sitting for a year and a half he said I could have it.

I actually drove it home, but the transmission was slipping so bad when I had to stop it was very difficult to get moving again. I had just bought a house when I got it and had to deal with the Simple Green part-out so it sat at my house for a few more months.

Once I was ready I washed it, and put it in the Garage.

IMG00217-20111009-1624.jpg

IMG00216-20111009-1624.jpg

IMG00219-20111009-1643.jpg

The plan for Reptar is to be my daily driver. As many of you know, I don't have a vehicle at the moment, which can be a pain in the ass. I plan on getting this going so I have a something to drive while I build my next Jeep.

The goal for this is to have a comfortable, reliable, parts hauler, and driver.

Build will be in three phases;
Phase 1: Fix it
Phase 2: Drive it
Phase 3: Improve it

Phase 1:

Since it had been sitting for almost 2 years the interior smelled like BPBs house, so it had to come out. Took the carpet out and pressure washed it, came out like new, but I don't have a pic handy.

IMG00218-20111009-1627.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

Got the transmission out with the help of TORX and Dellstopjeep:

IMG_0034.jpg

My Dad just happens to be a Ford tech so he agreed to help rebuild the tranny:

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0073.jpg

Was very interesting to take an automatic apart, learned quite a bit. Turns out the reason it went bad was a leaky front seat and was ran low on fluid. $10 seal could have prevent all this.

Well Eric helped me get it all put back together. We went to take it for a drive, and nothing happened.

Epic fail.

Called my dad, he said based on what we said happened, it was a low pressure issue, and that it would probably be best to just look into getting a replacement.

FML.

I'm going to throw this thing away, and just buy something that works. Time to cut my losses.

Best idea I've heard all day. Back to the Cherokee batman!

Sent from your subconscious without you knowing.....

Chillax kids I'm not parting it out.

I say make an Explorakee! Buy Dellstops motor,transmission and 4 to 1 and what left over front axle and stuff them in that body. I'm sure enough beer can make this happen.

Think about it the best of both worlds! A actual frame, Straight front axle, your pic of coils or leafs, your pic of NV3500 ax-15 or aw-4, 4 doors, seating for 5 and the list goes on.

I'm sure you know enough people on this forum with all the parts you would need for cheep.

Dave

Back