• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken RE Quick Disconnect

91XJRubicXD

NAXJA Forum User
I'm not sure if this is a common issue or not, but here goes. Earlier today we left Staten Island and headed to Cairo, NY. Hunting season is starting up. Anyhow, after reaching Cairo we headed out to a friends piece of land that we have been to several times before and never had an issue. This time I was crossing an 8ft. spring, creek, whatever ya call it for probably the 20th time or so, but with a sudden loud bang.on the front end. I was certain I hit a rock that was never there before. I crossed and stopped, jumped out to check the diff, only to see the RE quick disconnect hanging freely. The end that attaches to the stabilizer with the bolt was still on, but the attaching bolt is snapped off inside the body of the disconnect. How the hell could this happen ?

Sent from my Samsung Infuse 4G

Has happened twice to me... I think they are grade 2 bolts and are too small. I drilled mine out and replaced it with a larger grade 5 bolt. No problems since.

Yeah they seem to be of a lower grade. You wouldn't think RE would add bolts to there lifts of this type. Luckiky I was off the highway when it failed. And I always check my rig to make sure everything is intact. That break reminds me of a shear pin. I'll go with a grade 5 or better. Thanks for the response

Couple shots of this RE Quick Disconnect bolt breakage. At highway speed this could have spelled disaster for pops and myself

Don't forget to go with a larger bolt as well. I went 1/2" Honestly... you probably would have just heard some noise at highway speeds unless you were taking a fast corner.

Clean, what shocks are you running ? I settled for RE at the time I bought the lift. I believe these were there lower grade shocks. Little choice with funds at the time. Well I did manage to get back home earlier today. About 245 miles. It wasn't to bad steering with the sway bar unhooked, occasional sway changing lanes, but only slight. As for the original break, it literally felt like I hit a rock dead on, maybe it was the slight angle we were on that added more stress before the initial pop. One last thing I wanted to ask, maybe someone has an answer. For some reason when I go to grease the lower front RE arms, grease will not go into the zert. Any suggestions on this ?

At highway speed this could have spelled disaster for pops and myself

I seriously doubt you would have even noticed it while driving on flat ground and at highway speeds. I'm in favor of keeping the swaybar connected, especially for taller lifts, but I run without mine connected often without noticable issues (All Jeeps are different so comparison is unfair). Parts fail. This is a good lesson for all to check your junk before and after every run.

Yeah I have the RE monotubes, they came free with the lift. I'll check out the Bilsteins. Yeah luckily I didn't have this experience on the highway and I run the highway all the time. I don't think it would have been an issue, but scary thinking anything is possible with the lifted rigs. Thanks for all the input guys, appreciated

Dont rule out corrosion as an issue.Aluminum doesnt like steel and you live in NY(pics are worth a 1000 words)!

At highway speed this could have spelled disaster for pops and myself

newb....

you dont need swaybars

ps if youd have disconnected it like you should have it wouldnt have broken

If you have springs with a decent spring rate and awesome shocks, no sway bar would be fine.

no sway bar here ..actually i bottomed my RE lift out with a mistake jump (i wasnt driving) when my lift was about a week old and the top bolt went through my inner fender and broke....truck was a little "loose" driving home but nothing dangerous....so i took it off a little bit later and its one less thing i have to worry about now...

Shocks just dampen the suspension, heavy spring rates are what eliminate the need for a sway bar. I'd rather have flexy springs and keep my sway bar. I had some rancho springs for a while that didn't need the sway bar...sucked off road and beat the hell out of my kidneys :(

Eflores - First off newb is hardly the case, secondly there was no need to disconnect as we weren't on some wild trail. A regular two wheel drive pickup can go through the little path I was on, just as I was in 2wd. You don't need to reply rudely.

I'm running the front coils I got from RE. I purchased the Extreme Duty lift. I'm sure those coils are more then adequate without a stabilzer ? In regards to those RE monotubes, are they considered junk ? If so, I'll upgrade to something like Bilsteins. I'll just need to learn to take corners a bit slower if that's the case lol.

newb....

you dont need swaybars

ps if youd have disconnected it like you should have it wouldnt have broken

I am no newb, and I disagree on a daily driver. Everyone has their opinion. No need to !!!1

Back