• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brakes on my ford 8.8

ert01

NAXJA Forum User
I swapped in a rear axle from a 2005 Ford Explorer Sport-trac last year. I put new brake pads and rotors on at that time (front and rear).

I had my wheels off recently and decided to do the brakes again after seeing some ridges worn in the rotors.

Interestingly the rear pads were worn almost more then double what the fronts were. I think the proportioning is off... I never did put in a ZJ valve or anything. I thought the ZJ valve sent more fluid to the rear, not less? Can anyone tell me if I'm right in this thinking or if I'm wrong? Would a ZJ valve help balance my brakes? If not, what can I do to even them up?

Yeah after reading a bit more about it, it looks like what I'd have to do is remove the whole factory block altogether and then hardline the front brakes right to the master cylinder. Then the rears would go from the master cylinder to the prop. valve and then out to the calipers.

This would send full pressure to the fronts at all times and then I would choke the pressure to the rears until the system is balanced.

Seems pretty straightforward but if a ZJ valve would accomplish the same(or similar) thing, it would be nice.

Is this what the ZJ swap would do?

Back