• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Got rear ended

nitrospeed

NAXJA Forum User
So me and the wife where sitting at a red light northbound on 82nd and a guy in a avis rented car rearended us. It bent down my hitch and bent my frame behind the hitch. Think the insurance will pay to have that fixed on a 89? I got allot of doe in my jeep. Bummer part is the guy has a cal lic. But he took out the extra ins. On the rental

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

IF the cost of the repair is low, then yes they will fix. Otherwise, if they give you $$ buy it back and get something else too!

Damn dude that sucks. Sorry to hear that.

I seriously doubt that they will fix if the frame (unibody) is bent its probably going to cost more than its worth! I just got hit in the front Monday and the front axle was bent. Damage estimate was $3300 and mine is a 98 it only kbb's at $3200. Still waiting for the insurance to decide on what they are going to do, but if I can I might try and buy it back and fix myself! "maybe". Good luck by the way and atleast know one was hurt! But the jeep!!

I seriously doubt that they will fix if the frame (unibody) is bent its probably going to cost more than its worth! I just got hit in the front Monday and the front axle was bent. Damage estimate was $3300 and mine is a 98 it only kbb's at $3200. Still waiting for the insurance to decide on what they are going to do, but if I can I might try and buy it back and fix myself! "maybe". Good luck by the way and atleast know one was hurt! But the jeep!!

Well, we did end up taking my wife to the hospital to get checked out. She was turned abit talking to me when we got hit. by the time i got out to get the guys info she started crying. The guy admitted he was reading a map with instructions and didnt see me stopped. Doctor said the wife has wiplash and a backsprain. Also the doctor insisted i did to and gave us both walking papers but i didnt need them. maybe this is why my insurance is so high?

The fact that it was a rental car should help you significantly. The rental car company's insurance should cover the cost of the repair or cost of the car if it is too expensive to fix. Either way, it should be a little easier on you than if it wasn't a rental car company.

issues from car accidents can take days, weeks, months, and years (or decades) to show themselves. I would recommend NOT closing out the claim for physical damage to you and or your wife until you are as confident as possible that there are not on going issues from this. They should cover all of your medical appointments, therapy etc until you and the doc feel comfortable about closing it out. They will usually try to get you to close it out before then so they don't have any responsibility of issues that you may not know about for some time.

Good luck, not fun to deal with.
Michael

Sucks to hear, but at least there's insurance and a rental co. involved, so you'll be taken care of.

All XJ's with hitches that get rear-ended bend the uni-frame where it bolts to. The 1/4 panel is also probably wrinkled. It's totalled.

Even most trucks with hitches that get rearend end with significant frame damage. It is a universal problem.

If the rails are kinked on your 89, it will be a write off.

....All XJ's with hitches that get rear-ended bend the uni-frame where it bolts to. The 1/4 panel is also probably wrinkled. It's totalled.
Not to completely thread-jack, but do you think if adding some sort of stiffeners (such as the rear unibody stiffeners) or the Detours Tailbone would help decrease the chances of the rear rails getting tweaked? I got tagged a few times last year in the snow, luckily they were all slow bumps.

Not to completely thread-jack, but do you think if adding some sort of stiffeners (such as the rear unibody stiffeners) or the Detours Tailbone would help decrease the chances of the rear rails getting tweaked? I got tagged a few times last year in the snow, luckily they were all slow bumps.

All I think that would do is defeat any energy-absorbing properties built in to the XJ's uni-frame and pass the rest of the energy on to it's occupants in the event of a collision. The XJ's are WAY cheaper to replace than your body, I'll let it take the hit any day.

All I think that would do is defeat any energy-absorbing properties built in to the XJ's uni-frame and pass the rest of the energy on to it's occupants in the event of a collision. The XJ's are WAY cheaper to replace than your body, I'll let it take the hit any day.

X2

I got hit in my '91 when I was out wheeling (going to the trail on a dusty road and the person behind me got hit into me when we stopped) and the local body guy charged me $250 to pull it out. It was crinkled up right behind the hitch point and there wasn't any space between the two doors on the driver's side at the top.

After he pulled it back and straightened it, I drove it for 4 more years and wheeled it. I wouldn't consider unibody damage to be a total writeoff unless someone looks at it and tells you it can't be fixed.

In the eyes of the insurance company, which is what theyre mainly referring to, it will more than likely be totaled. However like you said, to us, it more than likely shouldn't be.

I was giving him some hope. If he can get a buy back from the insurance company, he may be into the repair for a lot less than the insurance check.

Anything can be fixed. I wasn't suggesting the insurance company would do it.

Back