• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which Shocks?

worldwidechance

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2'' lift right now and my shocks are completely blown. I plan on going up 2 more inches as soon as I can but being on a budget I cant do it all at once. I would like to get shocks first so I can improve my ride quality. My question is what size shocks should I get and will that size work for my current lift height of 2 inches and also my future height of 4 inches?

I work at Advance Auto Parts and can get a discount on shocks there so I dont want to buy from anywhere else so which shocks will work on my 95' Cherokee?

Street only XJ? I think you could get away with putting on longer shocks for a couple weeks, just don't be too hard on them... I had a set of shocks that was too long and I ended up tearing off both of the shock mounts on my rear axle and bending the mounts on my front axle / bent all of my bar pins... But I WAS beating on it a bit and driving entirely too fast through the desert, lol.

If I was planing to go up in height soon, I would get shocks that work at the height I will be going to and bump stop to prevent the shocks from bottoming out on compression. No need to buy parts twice.

Similar question. Should I go Hydro or Nitro filled? I will be doing mostly Steer driving with the occasional off road trips. Nothing crazy though.

Get the cheapest shocks money can buy for your present lift, and then upgrade to the best when you do the rest.

Similar question. Should I go Hydro or Nitro filled? I will be doing mostly Steer driving with the occasional off road trips. Nothing crazy though.

I prefer hydro on mine, nitro felt too stiff... This was comparing cheap-ass shocks though, so my opinion may be irrelevant when you get into higher end stuff. When I get the rest of my suspension set up the way I like it I'll buy some Bilsteins or OMEs. :thumbup:

JK shocks will get you to around 4" lift.

I had a 2" lift and went with bilstein 5150's front and rear, I did bpe's and shackle on the top front. I went with their 8" shock which is basically stock length but the shock body is longer so idk it worked out... I'm sitting at 4" now with the same shock and things work just fine... Better in fact

5150's are eye to eye mounting. BPE = bar pin eliminator. And I think he means upper shock adapter, which converts to stem-style to bolt in stock location.

Sure johnnie ;) I've heard them called shackles cuz well it's a U shape with a bar going thru it... Anyways. Ya vahasnowaves what he said lol bpe's eliminate that pos bar pin that factory shocks use. And the upper shock adaptor eliminates the shaft style upper mount. It gives alot more options for better quality shocks.

Just like someone else said, find JK Rubicon shocks (they're red) one ebay or craigslist. Guys sell them all the time, often times with very few miles on them. They're good for 2-4" of lift so you won't have to get a new set when you go up another 2"

I went with the Rancho RS5000. My got me a great deal on them and I couldn't pass it up. Plus a steering stabilizer. Going to try to install them in Saturday. Never done shocks before. Can't be that hard I guess. Just a couple nuts and bolts.

I went with the Rancho RS5000. My got me a great deal on them and I couldn't pass it up. Plus a steering stabilizer. Going to try to install them in Saturday. Never done shocks before. Can't be that hard I guess. Just a couple nuts and bolts.

I got a good deal on the same shocks (50% off) and I thought they were great at first. I like the stuff ride, it feels like a truck and rides great. My problem(mentioned in a thread) is that I bottom out all the time on the street which I think should not happen.

I have a meager 2" lift with HD springs front and back and I still hit my bumpstops going over things like speed bumps. I have stock bumpers and no added weight anywhere, still bottom out.

Back