• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1996 Jeep vacuum issues.

Hannibal_805

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,
I've been experiencing some issues with my heat and AC in tandem with the cruise control light coming on when I try to use either. I figured it was some sort of vacuum issue since I could find no electrical error that could be causing the problem. I don't have diagram of my vacuum system so I'm trying to piece it together. The picture I've included is of a part I'm not sure on, any help on identifying it would be greatly appreciated.

img20111030151500.jpg

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/85/img20111030151500.jpg/

Few more details that may be helpful:
1996 Jeep Sport 4.0L
Automatic transmission

img20111030151500.jpg

img20111030151500.jpg

Last edited:
Your photo is a picture of the charcoal canister purge pump. The can that sits under this is full of activated charcoal, and it holds gas vapors that accumulated in the tank and are transported up the vent tube to the canister. Under certain conditions, you can hear the pump run, as an annoying 'tick tick tick' at idle, after warm-up. These were installed starting in '96 as part of OBDll, but I'm unfamiliar with how long they actually used them, as our newest in the fleet are '96s. It shouldn't have any influence on the operation of the cruise control.

You made mention of a cruise control light. Where is it located? Is it in the dash? The only light I'm familiar with is the tiny indicator in the steering wheel itself, that glows green when the cruise is activated.

Yep, I was referring to that tiny little light on the steering wheel. When I slide the switch on any setting between A/C MAX and HEAT the Cruise light will pop on. This is followed, if I'm on the road, by a significant jump in RPM's that makes driving almost impossible and so I immediately have to switch it back to the OFF position. It's quite the problem and honestly seems a bit odd.

Back