• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

waggy header panel swap, now turn signals don't work...

GrimmJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I put my waggy (4 headlight setup) front end on my 94 XJ yesterday, and now the side turn signals won't work. Bulbs are good, just not getting any power. Is there something I have to change wiring-wise to get them to flash like the original header panel did?

Thanks in advance, I'm stumped
scratch-head.gif

Grimm, do the turn signals in the grill turn on?

might be a different flasher. IIRC the side marker doesnt flash like the blinker. i dunno, im spitballin

On at least one of my jeeps they flash in opposition to the signal light on the same side - i.e. only one is on at a time.

Odd that only the front ones would work. Maybe the waggy ones are set up differently? Probe the harness to find out which pin they're connected to?

they do come on with the headlight switch i never even thought to check that till it was mentioned here. i'll probe the connector to see what pin is hot opposite the front signal's flash. thanks guys :cheers:

My understanding is that sometime after the period of time of the Waggy front end, the side markers started the alternate flashing like you describe. My '92, the oldest in the fleet, does the alternate flash. You may want to make sure that the harness connector at the radiator support is clean enough for a good electrical connection. I've removed it on my '92 and '96 because of corrosion.

My son's '95 has a Waggy front end on it, still with the connector intact, so I'll have to look at it to see if they work the same way.

On the waggy front panel the side lights are just marker lights..they do not flash. The small one in the grill now become the turn signals..its in the wiring of the header panel. I thought the same thing but traced the wiring and found this out

Another thing I don't like about the Waggy front end is the way the high-beams don't work properly, at least on ours. When you turn on the high-beams, the low bulb shuts off. I think maybe it's a function of the smallish bulbs, but there's only ever two bulbs on at a time, not all four like back in the day when most cars had four. Also, on ours, the 'flash to pass' feature, partially pulling back the stalk to flash the brights does nothing. I don't know if that's normal for the Waggy, or just a problem of our '95 Waggy, but it was a deal-breaker for me when I was rebuilding my '92, and I had easy access to three or four Waggy front ends at the time. My son cured the too-small, not enough light problem with a set of HID headlights. Tons of light, but they're not focused real good, as the sealed-beam bodies they used just aren't deep enough to properly focus the beam of light. Close, but no cigar...

Yes, the side markers are just that...marker lights. They do not flash with the turn signals. Also yes...the 4-headlight system is made to function with only two headlights at a time. This is the way it is on my '89 Waggy.

I have seen a mod here in this forum where you can alter the system so that the marker lights also flash (alternating with the front signal light), and I hava also seen a mod to make the high beam setting keep all four headlights on.

Not sure why the factory set-up only uses two headlights at a time, but I haven't noticed any lack of illumination on the highway with my high beams.

A mod for keeping 4 headlights on would be pretty easy. Wire the coil of a 30A (could probably get away with 20...) relay across one of the high beams and ground, wire the common terminal of the relay to a 12V source, wire the NO terminal to the hot wire to the low beam bulbs.

A mod for keeping 4 headlights on would be pretty easy. Wire the coil of a 30A (could probably get away with 20...) relay across one of the high beams and ground, wire the common terminal of the relay to a 12V source, wire the NO terminal to the hot wire to the low beam bulbs.

Yup, just make sure your alternator has the capacity...

Back