• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broke RE leaf

Slonopotam

NAXJA Member #1358
Hi,

This weekend on a trail the main leaf on my RE 3.5" spring broke. The spring came with an RE lift kit, which was installed 6 years ago.

Is it to be expected ?

It feels like the jeep sits lower than it was 6 years ago, which is understandable. Do I replace just one leaf spring, or do I have to replace both left and right, to avoid left-right banking ?

Any word on RE warranty, should I even try it?

I believe they used to produce several kinds of springs, now they have only one. Not sure whether it is the same as I have bought.

Thank you,
Andrey

have you talked to RE? my first thought would be to see if they will replace them. you might have to send yours back, but itll be a hell of a lot cheaper than buying new ones.
chances are after 6 years of use they wont just give you a new leaf and for that matter their new leafs or made in jap/china/indo so not as good as they were.

a lot of companies will replace them for the sole purpose of product feedback. they will want to know why it broke. and it doesnt hurt to try.

a spring shop should be able to rebuild both and have you happy and out the door if RE cant/wont do anything for you.

i broke the same thing last march and replaced them with bds springs. i love my bds springs now and with a lifetime warranty you cant complain. I also would look into clayton offroad.

their new leafs or made in jap/china/indo so not as good as they were.

The last set I purchased approximately a year ago... were built in India.... ; not terribly pleased with the quality of the new leaf packs....
Recently purchased a custom set of Deavers with the 10 leafs....; cost more money, but made in America. :patriot:

I would replace both but dont go with RE go with BDS

I do not see BDS making 3.5" leaf springs. In fact, I do not see them selling their leaf springs separately from their lift kits.

Last edited:
have you talked to RE? my first thought would be to see if they will replace them. you might have to send yours back, but itll be a hell of a lot cheaper than buying new ones.

I talked to the distributor that I bought them from - 4 wheel parts.

They said that RE bankrupted some time ago AND 4WP bought them, so now RE is a part of 4WP. They also said that if I bring the broken leaf spring back, they will give a discount on a new one. I will have to pay for the difference in materials/labor between 6 years ago and now, something like this.

I talked to the distributor that I bought them from - 4 wheel parts.

They said that RE bankrupted some time ago AND 4WP bought them, so now RE is a part of 4WP. They also said that if I bring the broken leaf spring back, they will give a discount on a new one. I will have to pay for the difference in materials/labor between 6 years ago and now, something like this.

I would call RE directly to see if they would help you out. May even be worth a drive over to Sac.

But as everyone has said there are other options for higher quality springs out there if you need to buy a new one.

If one of a pair brakes I always replace both, you never know when the other one will go.

Back