• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering wheel installation- Compressing spring for lock ring

fattmann

NAXJA Forum User
Recently had to swap my column out for one from Upullit, and I am in the process of putting a new tumbler in. Got it all installed, tumbler in and working, but can't for the life of me get the steering wheel back together.

The issue I'm having is getting the stiff spring compressed enough to get the lock ring back in place. Found one write up that said just to use a large socket, and press it into place until the ring snaps in. I had both feet pressing down on it (back braced against driver's seat), and my little brother pushing on it at the same time and we STILL couldn't get it compressed enough.

Is there a trick to it? I measured the spring, and even with it fully compressed there is only like 1/8" to get that ring on there, I don't see how the mechanism didn't fly off in dis-assembly.. lol.

Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated, or a link to a good technique.

Vehicle is: 1992, 5sp, 4x4, 4.0l- column is from a 1990 (no airbags)

I am just striking out here! Lol

When I get done with school for the evening I was going to try a c clamp, see if that does it. Does everyone else's just drop right in?

Son of a! AutoZone tried giving me that to take my steering wheel off, hadn't a clue that's what it was. Looks like ill be snatching that up. Thank you sir.

I struggled removing and installing a Grant wheel that came with my MJ...In my mind that job was a MAJOR pain...

When I was putting the old wheel back on I used this tool...it was so easy I can't wait to do it again. I bought the tool. Only $15

Back