• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Right rear wheel grinding when turning right

gba88

NAXJA Forum User
I already researched a bunch of posts about turning/grinding noise issues. I'm just looking for some expert advice on my own situation. From what I've read, and what I've tested I'm saying it's the wheel bearing but would like to know what some other people think.

Background: 96 4.0, 231, abs dana 35, 197k. New tires about 1.5 weeks ago, rear wheels both pulled last week to check brakes, messed with adjuster in driver side rear. Been running all week with no problems. This noise showed up after about a 45 minute road trip today. Have noticed a "clunking" from the same area when going over bumps for at least a year that I've never been able to track down.

This morning I went around a bumpy right turn fairly quick (maybe 20-25..not sure but it wasn't slow and wasn't fast so..) Anyway, so after the bumping from the road finished out, I heard what sounded like the drum dragging....light grinding from the right rear (passenger side). Drove about a quarter mile, and it went away. It isn't constant, it's only when making a fairly quick/sharp right hand turn...it then continues to make the light grinding after I drive about 25-50 yards after that. Doesn't seem to happen on really slow turns, and doesn't happen on wide turns.

I jacked it up and couldn't detect any side to side or top t bottom play in the wheel. I pulled the wheel then to look at the brakes and everything seemed ok, but the adjuster is frozen (I'm sure it's been frozen for years). Because of the "when turning" part of it, I'm assuming that I won't luck out and have it be brake related. I'm guessing it has to do with the vehicle weight shift when turning and may have something to do with the axle shaft movement on that wheel and something to do with bearings. Please post any thoughts. Thanks!

....heard what sounded like the drum dragging.......... look at the brakes and everything seemed ok, but the adjuster is frozen (I'm sure it's been frozen for years....

So, the brakes have been neglected for years and that wouldn't be the first place to start your troubleshooting ? Service the brakes. See what happens.

Axle bearing failure is unlikely in your case. Bad bearings make growling or roaring noises.

So, the brakes have been neglected for years and that wouldn't be the first place to start your troubleshooting ? Service the brakes. See what happens.

Axle bearing failure is unlikely in your case. Bad bearings make growling or roaring noises.

You got it! yes, I'm guilty....havent' done the rear brakes in years because the shoes were still at 40% on the thinnest one (driver front shoe). NOW I know to inspect the actual brake hardware and replace as necessary instead of just looking at the pad left on the shoes.

Chalk this one up to neglected brakes, and not trusting where you THINK noises are coming from. It turns out that it was the rear driver side that was messed up. I put it on stands this morning and tracked down the noise....the cable that the adjuster spring is connected to had rusted/snapped!!! I probably don't have the terminology right, but it's the washer with the braided cable that goes onto the post before the other 2 shoe springs. So anyway yeah the adjuster on the other side was frozen, but it broke free. I replaced all the hardware (both sides) and the shoes as well.

Back