• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d44 swap ?

wrink99

NAXJA Forum User
ok here's the situation I just purchased a dana 44 from an 87 cherokee and I currently have a chryco 8.25 in mine if I get the drive shaft from the 87 will it just swap in assuming the gears are the same as the front?

Leave the '87 driveshaft, you don't need it, (unless it's free, then I'd take it and throw it in my spare parts bin) but your current driveshaft will hook up fine to the '87 44. I swapped an '87 44 into my '94, (which originally had an 8.25) and it was a perfect fit. No problems at all. Just make sure your gears match up. I believe all XJ 44's came with 3,73 gears, which is what your front should be as long as you have a 6 cylinder.

Actually Most D44 XJs had 3.54 gears
and the reasons to goto a D44 from a chryco:
better gear and carrier choices.

Cujo said:
Leave the '87 driveshaft, you don't need it, (unless it's free, then I'd take it and throw it in my spare parts bin) but your current driveshaft will hook up fine to the '87 44. I swapped an '87 44 into my '94, (which originally had an 8.25) and it was a perfect fit. No problems at all. Just make sure your gears match up. I believe all XJ 44's came with 3,73 gears, which is what your front should be as long as you have a 6 cylinder.

most XJ d44s are 3.55/3.54 gears (whatever it is)
3.73s were mostly used in the early (84-86) XJs

most, if not all 4.0L/auto XJs were 3.55/3.54 gears, and most if not all 4.0L/5-speed XJs were 3.07 gears

99 8¼ to 87 Dana 44?
wll the 44 was only $90 and the lockright was $200
had to rebuild the brakes though, and gonna replace the 35c in my 85 with the 8¼

the 44 was only 350 and and the cost to regear and lock the chryco 8.25 would cost come close to paying for the 44 considering the 44 is cheaper to get aftermarket parts for plus it is stronger

ya man, that extra shaft would make a good slide hammer for pullling shafts

Back