• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

axle shaft lenghts

ruger81

NAXJA Forum User
87 dana 44 what side gets the longer shaft(29.75) and such side gets the (29.25). The reason im asking is because I can't keep my wheel seals in the rest from leaking and the guy at the axle co. Said it matters but I put the same length in that I took out the first time no luck.. I have done this three time. At like 87$ a time.

Just remember it's the same as the Dana 30. Short shaft is on the driver's side and long shaft is on the passenger side.

Ok will do. Now anybody got any hints or clues on how to make this thing not puke oil like mad

If its coming out of the axle ends, that means the axle seals are toast. Unfortunately the seals are installed on the axle behind the press-on bushing. You gotta cut that off to replace the seal. Do the bearings while you are in there.

If it leaks from the pinion, just replace the pinion seal. Remove the pinion nut, pull the seal, replace the seal, install the nut. The torque is something crazy like 225 ft-lbs.

I'd follow the previous advice first, and verify the vent isn't clogged. Assuming that isn't the problem, is there anything "non factory" about the cover or pinion angle that might be causing you to overfill it? I knew of someone who filled his on a steep incline which caused it to shed the extra lube until it reached it's "happy level" and stopped leaking.

Back