• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear tow points

moparman96

NAXJA Forum User
I just put a gas tank skid plate on my xj. Now my rear receiver wont fit because the skid plates get in the way. Is there any form of rear recovery point that I can use, or do I have to go and buy tow hooks. And if I have to but new stuff what can I get and how can I mount it with out the receiver in place.

I wish there was an easy solution to this, I have the same problem. With a gas tank skid and shackle relocation brackets, there is no way my hitch was gonna fit over all that stuff.

Tow hooks attached to the rear crossmember are less than ideal I hear since they cannot take a sideways pull.

.... my rear receiver wont fit because the skid plates get in the way....

Most Class-III receivers fit with most skid plates. Try and find a different receiver.

Buying or building a Heavy Duty bumper with a receiver and/or shackle mounts is another solution.

The Detours TailBone system is also a good choice. http://detoursusa.com/tailbone.php

Last edited:
I dont believe they are making the tailbone at this time...
Currently I have a factory skid, bumper tie ins, and shackle relocation brackets on my XJ. My Protofab bumper will be modified this week for a D-ring tap to serve as a tow point. Throughout the life of this bumper my brother in law always just wrapped a strap around the bumper itself.

And I agree with looking into another reciever that will fit. Some came from the factory with a reciever and skid.

I have Rusty's gas tank skid, a hidden hitch receiver, and a tailbone. It all fit with only minor grinding to the skid plate. Do you have a pic of the problem?

no I dont have a pic I just got rid of my old receiver to a buddy who needed one. I dont have the tools to build my own here but I might next time i go on leave. Unfortunately I dont have the money for a new receiver either but I can live without for a while more so if Im gonna build my own rear bumper. I just didnt know if someone had made something custom to fix this problem. Does anybody have pics of there own rear bumper builds that I could use for ideas for my build since there isnt a whole lot short of that or getting a high dolloar receiver?

Back