• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Late model master cylinder upgrade?

Dest

NAXJA Forum User
I know there are master cylinder upgrades for the older years, but is there an easy upgrade for a 2000? I think my MC is going bad because if I push it quickly I've got good brakes, if I push it slowly it doesn't do anything for the first couple inches and if I push it quick then come up then back down its firm still. If thats not the mc I'd be interested to hear your ideas. If it is should I just replace it or what could I upgrade it with?

...bump.. I also like to know about a better master cylinder for my 2001 XJ. I have already swapped over to rear disk brake. But the brake seams soft at times.

...bump.. I also like to know about a better master cylinder for my 2001 XJ. I have already swapped over to rear disk brake. But the brake seams soft at times.

Did you do anything to your prop valve?

As the color changes so dose the diameter of the plunger. I have a silver and yellow one with me and the yellow one is a hair bigger in diameter.

Late model XJ's already have the best Master Cylinder available. If you think you need better brake performance, upgrade the quality of your pads/shoes and rotors/drums or look into the WJ brake swap. Installing steel-braided brake lines will reduce some of your brake pedal mushiness.

Stock brakes right now though I'm swapping to rear disk soon. If I recall correctly the pedal will get hard with the engine off.

Back