• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Torque converter noise

xjman96

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96XJ, 4.0, AW4 with over 195K miles.
Recently it started making a noise in the Torque converter area that sounds like a pulley with a bad bearing.
The noise happens only in gear R or D never in P or N. It is under load only because if I am coasting it goes away.
I checked with a transmission place and they say it is the Torque converter.
The transmission is perfect in any other respect, shifting, locking, no slipping. I hate to spend a lot of money if not necessary.

Flex plate bolt(s) loose or damaged flexplate maybe??
Hoping it's something cheap foe ya and it's real easy to check the plate and bolts. Just emove inspection cover of have the trans shop do it for ya. they'll usually do it free since there's virtually no labor involved for them.

Flex plate bolt(s) loose or damaged flexplate maybe??
Hoping it's something cheap foe ya and it's real easy to check the plate and bolts. Just emove inspection cover of have the trans shop do it for ya. they'll usually do it free since there's virtually no labor involved for them.

Great idea and I'll check it.
I doubt that it is the problem because about three months ago I did have a loose flex plate and it was making noise. i used red loktite and torqued all the bolts, replaced one that didn't look good.
This noise is different, like a bad bearing in a pulley, or a buzz. I think it is happening inside the TC. This weekend I plan to do an oil change, and check the filter and magnets.
The operation is perfect in all respects.

Another thought. Systematic elimination etc.

Throw the transfer case in 4 hi and lo.
Does the noise get louder/worse/different??

Good thought, it makes the noise even when there is no motion, that leaves a lot of moving parts out. Sometimes it seems to be louder than other times.
It does it in gear only and while it is under load. If I start coasting it either gets low or goes completely away depending on load.
No difference in 2WD or full time 4x4 (I have a 242 transfer case).
Thanks.

I also have a '96 with AW4 and 242 with 270K on it - exactly the same noise in gear, not in N or P.

I got this rig with that noise present at 212K. I also believe it to be TC related - possibly noise from the pump.

It hasn't gotten any louder and there have been zero tranny issues (even after I broke a hose and lost all the fluid.) It works perfectly but has that noise -not a whine, not quite a whirr, but something just as you described.

Drive it until something goes wrong - then again it may just keep working fine and not get any worse. Mine has.

If you don't know what it is and it has no aparent effect, I say don't try to fix it.

I also have a '96 with AW4 and 242 with 270K on it - exactly the same noise in gear, not in N or P.

I got this rig with that noise present at 212K. I also believe it to be TC related - possibly noise from the pump.

It hasn't gotten any louder and there have been zero tranny issues (even after I broke a hose and lost all the fluid.) It works perfectly but has that noise -not a whine, not quite a whirr, but something just as you described.

Drive it until something goes wrong - then again it may just keep working fine and not get any worse. Mine has.

If you don't know what it is and it has no aparent effect, I say don't try to fix it.

This weekend I plan to change the oil mostly to see if there is anything in the pan. It never hurts to change it and also take a look at the flex plate just because it is there.
In a way I'd like to get it fixed, I like my XJ and have tried to take care of it but I don't want to waste money.
Somebody suggested a loose stator in the converter. I don't know much about converters, they are sealed, never seen one apart and can't visualize what could be wrong.
Thanks for the info, it is encouraging to know that after 60K with the noise it is still going.

Back