• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing HD SYE with double cardan drive shaft: any tips/tricks?

husker25

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all,
Getting the parts in the mail Wednesday. I plan on doing in while still attached to the truck. Any special tools, tips, tricks, advice? Thanks.

what case do you have 231 or 242?
Its way easier to drop the transfer case. Putting the two shafts in with a chain on a verticle basis is hard enough. Aligning everything horizontal may prove more difficult.
Also inspect the shift fork pads and replace them if need be- they are cheap. This is also a good time to replace your transmission mount.

Dont get in a hurry and have a few beers along the way =)

Youll need a good large snap ring plier and a large lock ring plier.

x1000 on a GOOD snap ring pliers. Other than that it's pretty straightforward.

Dont be nervous, it may seem intimidating, but it is SUPER straightforward!

It is a lot easier then I thought it would be. I did it with it under the Jeep still and I had never been in a transfer case before. Like everyone said, get good snap ring pliers, the ones I got at O'rielys flexed as much as the snap rings.

It's pretty easy to do in the rig. I donno why anyone would need to take it off. The hardest/longest part is removing the snap rings from the old output shaft.

just be prepared, when doing it under the rig, to catch a fair amount of weight when you pull the shafts out!!!

Pulled the t-case when I did mine and regretted it. Probably added an hour to the swap.

And make sure you clean the old rtv and oil off and put a good bead of new rtv on.

I also had a problem with the plug leaking at the end of the shift rod. Ended up using rtv to seal it up.

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

I did mine in the vehicle with no trouble, hardest thing is the snap rings, a good set of lock ring pliers made it way easier.

Easiest way not to mess up putting the gears on is to take the retaining lock ring off then flip the shaft so all the gears and crap fall onto your workbench, then carefully pull the shaft out do the gears stay stacked up in order, now just slide the new shaft onto the gears, thats how i did mine, that way there is zero chance of messing it up

dont forget how the oilpump goes in and put in on the inside of the case:banghead:it WILL lock up the tcase when you tighten dow the extension housing... ask me how i know

Cut the shift rail down before you total disassemble.
Put it in low 4x4 the shifter rail will be sticking out the furthest read the instructions it will tell you how short to cut it some don't need to be cut.
Just easier to cut first before you clean everything.

I started doing them in the jeep now, a little faster.

dont forget how the oilpump goes in and put in on the inside of the case:banghead:it WILL lock up the tcase when you tighten dow the extension housing... ask me how i know

I don't remember pulling it from inside the t-case. I thought it rested on the outside and was sandwiched between the t-case and tail housing. Crap.

I don't remember pulling it from inside the t-case. I thought it rested on the outside and was sandwiched between the t-case and tail housing. Crap.

If I remember right I think it goes on the outside but put it on at the same time as the housing so you can pre attach the pickup tube or it can be a pain with a pick pushing the pickup back into the pump. Whatever is easier for you.

You'll figure it out, not much to mess up.
also you have to remove the snap ring under the output seal to take the tail housing off.

i know, i was saying dont accidently put it on the inside like i did.

If I remember right I think it goes on the outside but put it on at the same time as the housing so you can pre attach the pickup tube or it can be a pain with a pick pushing the pickup back into the pump. Whatever is easier for you.

This!! I used a flat head screwdriver because i didnt have a pick, what a PITA. Patience is key here

Also make sure you pry the transfer case halfs apart in the appropriate spots, tha 12mm bolts at the top can be a pain too, i didnt realize it had a nut on the back at first

Back