• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

more turn with a a durango steering box

unhitched

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed my durango steering box and it seems that i have lost some of my turning ability, i never hit the locks in either direction....
i was wondering what pitman arm can i use to correct this? any ideas?

thanks

nick

i did get the non plow version, from what i understand to get full turning you need to either remove the internal stops or go with a longer pitman arm....

Not sure what I have to offer to this thread, but to tell you this...

I did the same install you did with the Durango box. I DID NOT do any modifications to the internal stops, nor did I swap pitman arms.

I didn't loose any turning ability. So I guess my point is that perhaps there isn't a "given" to this process.

I am not saying everyone needs to, all i know is that i dont get anywhere near the steering stops on the axle before the steering wheel stops going around....

Using a longer pitman arm will change the ratio negating some of the benefit of using the box with a larger piston. The better way is to modify the box for more travel.

A performance box from PSC can be bought for less than $200. Still don't get why folks bother with used junkyard "upgrade" steering boxes.

How many turns lock to lock do you get out of the box? Stock is 3.5.

A performance box from PSC can be bought for less than $200. Still don't get why folks bother with used junkyard "upgrade" steering boxes.

How many turns lock to lock do you get out of the box? Stock is 3.5.

For the same reason they build bastard leaf packs instead of going with BIGoffroad, use rear sway bar link mounts for bar pin eliminators instead of buying JKS, modify TJ flares for the XJ instead of Bushwhackers, cut, fit and weld their own bumpers rather than go with a Hanson....... to save $$$.

A good Durango box can be had at the u-pull-and-pay yards for $25-$45 and modified for free. I got my rebuilt box, modified by a local rebuilder for $125 6+ years ago..... and it's still working perfectly on someone else's rig.

Tom (old_man) can rebuild these boxes with the modification for a good chunk less than $200

Lets not forget our early days modifying our XJ's......... $200 is a serious chunk of change for alot of these guys Richard...... and don't forget to figure in the shipping for that $200 PSC box.

Stock Durango turns are 3.5 as well.

Last edited:

Not necessarily. Every box I have found (at a junkyard or parts shop) has been only 3 turns lock to lock. You have to tear the box down (per the link that FrankZ provided) and remove the spacers at either end of the steering box to get full 3.5 turn lock-to-lock steering.

I have a durango box sitting on the bench in my garage right now fully disassembled with spacers removed. It was 3 turns lock-to-lock when I bought it, should be 3.5 turns when I'm finished.

Not necessarily. Ever box I have found (junkyard or parts shop) has been only 3 turns lock to lock. You have to tear the box down (per the link that FrankZ provided) and remove the spacers at either end of the steering box to get full 3.5 turn lock-to-lock motion.

I have a durango box sitting on the bench in my garage right now fully disassembled with spacers removed. It was 3 turns lock-to-lock when I bought it, should be 3.5 turns when I'm finished.

I am using the link FrankZ provided along with this pirate thread to rebuild the box.

Not everyone has Tom close by. :)

Does Tom, or doing it yourself at home, include replacing the bushing at the bottom of the sector shaft with a bearing, so it lasts longer with bigger tires?

My point is that $200 is kind of a small amount compared to what most of us spend modifying our XJ's, and I bet that some of the folks reading this would like to have the option of spending $200 for a professionally rebuilt steering gear rather than scrounging through the pick-and-pull for a box and pulling it apart at home, and possibly ending up with a mostly worn out steering gear. Maybe.

Last edited:
Not necessarily. Every box I have found (at a junkyard or parts shop) has been only 3 turns lock to lock. You have to tear the box down (per the link that FrankZ provided) and remove the spacers at either end of the steering box to get full 3.5 turn lock-to-lock steering.

This. Did you do this OP? It might also be necessary to take a grinder wheel or some abrasive tool and remove the 4 tabs that might be casted into the mold of the cap, which would also limit travel.

Scott

No ihave not modified the box, it isbeyond my skill level
I just bought a 20 dollar wagoneer pitman arm which I think will give me more turning with no need for a teardown

My box is 3 turns lock to lock btw

Ps I did the Durango box from napa after the bolts broke putting in my steering brace this box was just a hair over $100 bucks same as the stock box... So I figured why not

Well if the wagoneer pitman arm doesn't help, the saginaw box rebuild isn't really all that hard at all. It looks and sounds a lot more difficult than it really is.

I haven't finished the rebuild and the "hardest" (aka most tedious) part is still waiting for me... replacing the ball bearings. But really, all things considered that still doesn't seem all that hard. I will be re-assembling my box today after I run some errands this morning so I'll be sure to check in if I find something that is prohibitively difficult :gee:

I really do think that if you have the know-how to replace pitman arms, steering boxes, etc you probably have the intelligence to rebuild the saginaw box, it's just a matter of jumping into an unknown project.

Does Tom, or doing it yourself at home, include replacing the bushing at the bottom of the sector shaft with a bearing, so it lasts longer with bigger tires?

My point is that $200 is kind of a small amount compared to what most of us spend modifying our XJ's, and I bet that some of the folks reading this would like to have the option of spending $200 for a professionally rebuilt steering gear rather than scrounging through the pick-and-pull for a box and pulling it apart at home, and possibly ending up with a mostly worn out steering gear. Maybe.

I agree with Goatman! Yeah you can do it with a junkyard box but i drive mine to the trail and back. I need everything to be as reliable as possible, so 200 is a small price to pay considering what i've already dumped in my jeep! Got a PN on that PSC box goatman or is it easily found on their site?

I do a ton of these and ship them all over. Yes they get completely torn down, cleaned, glass beaded, tapped, and painted. They get a full set of of new bearings, including the pitman arm bearing with twice the number of rollers, then all new seals. I don't normally rebuild a customer's box, since the shipping costs me almost the same as a core does. I charge $160 insured, delivered, with no core required.

TopView.jpg

ArealView.jpg

I even plug them so you can use them as a standard box until you decide to upgrade.

Back