• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Armored Bumper Question

Jeep Hero

NAXJA Forum User
It is time to upgrade the factory front bumper.

This past Monday night, I had a slight collision with a young deer in my 2001 Jeep Cherokee 60th Anniversary Edition.

Fortunately, damage is minimal; although the front fiberglass nose (grill surround) is cracked across the bottom. The steel bumper and bumper bracket is bent on the passenger side.

I have scoured thru many posts on aftermarket bumpers. I have looked at pics of Rigidco, Nates 4x4, KevinsOffRoad, amd JCR OffRoad.

I am looking for a tapered bumper, with shackle mounts and a grill guard (not just a prerunner or winch hoop), and wouldn't mind a two inch receiver. None of the above offers all of those together.

As far as appearance goes, I like the looks of the ARB and the Hanson, but don't want to pay that much.

Has anybody used the Warrior Products bumpers?

I like their Rock Crawler Bumper with Winch Mount, Brush Guard, and D-Ring Mounts. I believe this bumper also comes with their Bumper Reinforcement Brackets.

It seems to have evetything that I am looking for, with the exception of the receiver hitch. But since it has a winch deck, I can always mount a winch later on.

Any comments?

Thanks.

Jeep Hero

since they all ship as bare metal just have some fabricator in your area weld up something you like and weld it to the bumper.

Also, on my JCR Prerunner winch bumper, the prerunner hoop is as high as the hood. If you hit a deer dead on, it'd be deflected down. Hit it at an angle, it'd be mostly tossed to the side, although it might have opportunity to hit the corner of the Jeep.

Or heck, give JCR or AJs a call and they could likely do something custom for you.

I went with the T&T Custom's bumper. The price is very good and the quality is exceptional. I would also go with the steering brace option or upgrade to four-bolt if you can swing it.

Warrior does offer a front bumper with a brush guard, however it is not just a bar in the middle, it is a full guard with headlight protection as well.

I don't believe that they have a 2" receiver option in the front, and in contrast to RedChuck's comment, they do come painted ready to install. However, they do come with 2 D-shackle mounts on them.

To give you an idea what your XJ might look like with the Warrior (assuming your XJ is silver), here is my 60th Anniversary XJ with the Warrior front bumper on it. I ended up going with Custom 4x4 Fabrication in OK for the rear. I'm pretty happy with my choices:

101_1300.jpg

101_1269.jpg

I don't believe that they have a 2" receiver option in the front, and in contrast to RedChuck's comment, they do come painted ready to install. However, they do come with 2 D-shackle mounts on them.
I believe Chuck was referring to the others, ie JCR, Nate's etc.

I had the jcr prerunner on my 88 although it was fitted for a 97+. That thing was beefy as all get out and the hoops realy wrapped around the front end well. I would have had no concern hitting a deer with that bumper. Thats actually the reason I went with it. Also as stated im sure they could modify the hoops to your liking.

I have this setup-
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1052303

It has not been deer tested, but I'm not sure how you could twist it up with a deer. It was also a good deal lighter then the other bumpers on the market (think mpg)

I like it a lot, but since I've removed the winch, its not needed anymore. I'm going back to the stock bumper, or a non winch bumper without all the fixins

landlfabrication.com they do custom bumpers, and cheaper than most others around. He is a vendor over at cherokeeforum.com as well

Recently, I bit the bullet.., opened my wallet, and ordered an ARB full bull bar winch bumper, w/Warn M8000 winch, and am a happier DD, w/et-al potentials. One thing about the ARB I did not like was the fact that a winch handle could not be accessed from reaching up underneath the bumper easly should I find myself with the XJ down in deep thick mud, or in frozen snow/ice impacted deeply, into a conglomerate of sorts. So, had to cut/torch a hole in top of bumper plate, (which should be done at the factory since ARBUSA recommends using only the M8000 for my XJ year with said bumper), in order to gain better access to the handle.., accomplished only after carefully rotating the end cap with the hex-head screws, etc., in order to present handle to the new hole. Also had to drill through various mounting points in order to better 'clean-up' factory hole locations to the XJ. Some did not line up well, i.e., did not present 'perfect-circles' in order to place ARB installation bolts. Remember to use anti-sieze on the bolts, especially if you wish to take down the bumper in order to install a winch at a latter date. Another thing.., ARB type brush bumper guard, (intended to protect against Kangarros), is minimal for moose, lol, big foot, or pink elephants. The verticle aspect of the frontal aspect of the bumper would allow moose, or taller animals when struck to possibly flip-over onto the hood, and into the windshield. On the other hand, ARB did engineer the bumper to not only handle roo's, but to somewhat 'crumple', in order to lessen blah, blah, blah, and yet allow for the 'air-bag' to function in later XJ years. I am so glad I do not have that so-called p.o.s. air bag system, ('89), as I wear glasses, and would probably be blinded, as so many have had in such deployments. With that in mind.., the baseball teams should only be allowed to play with wiffle balls, and the football teams should only be allowed to play with spongy footballs. That politically correct wussey stuff behind.., lol, the ARB bumper is a great addition to the DD XJ, and the optional winching aspects. It is painted black. I have yet to see one that has separation of the paint, with the attending rust as a consequence. (nothing a rattle-can can't fix). If I had to do it all over again.., I'd go with ARB/Warn. Expensive.., yes. Looks handsomely good, i.e., macho with a bit of class.., yes. Functional.., yes, i.e., extra road lights, winch, and useful for occassional road-kill 'roo 'barbies. Protective of the OEM headlight placements.., yes. Protective in a collision.., hmmm.., flip a coin, (better than nothing). Would I do this setup for serious rock crawling.., absolutely not. I'd keep the winch, but ditch the ARB due to such a need for a different application, i.e., the need for better approach angles, and grill protection.., and winching of course. However, my 2" set-up is strictly for slowly managing earthquake broken up roads, i.e., up and over, over and down, alternate routes around and through, roadway/trail wash-outs, etc., as well as for various conditions of; snow, ice, and ditches, mud, moose, and perhaps higher speed idiot cell phone user collisions.

OMG

I really hope you're not expecting people to read that.
It took me three separate visits, but I read it and wish I hadn't. My eyes kinda hurt and i think I'm bleeding from my left ear.

The warrior bumper is a good cheap option and I have seen cottontail beat the snot out of it but for the price i's spend just a hair more and go with a JCR, oh wait I already did that! :D I have came down hard on my stage 4 a few times and its held up well. The rear stage 3 bumper from JCR I have has taken a lot more hits than the front and its still holding up well.

I also enjoy the clearance you get on the corners:
S7301004.jpg

Last edited:
All,

Thanks, I really appreciate the suggestions and the pics. Also appreciate links to all the different companies that offer custom bumpers.

You are welcome to keep posting pics and suggestions. I will eventually need to decide on which rear bumper to go with.

I did order the Warrior Products Rock Crawler Front Bumper with winch deck, grill guard, D-ring mounts and frame reinforcement plates. Below is the only pic from the company.

115260-lg.jpg

I decided on this one partially because of its OEM appearance, and the full grill guard. As of now, I don’t plan to use this Jeep for serious off-roading. It is my daily driver, and I have FSJ Cherokees for harder use.

I will post some pics of the Cherokee once the bumper arrives and I get it mounted.

Additionally, I ordered the Warrior Products Steering Box Brace, and will mount it when I do the bumper.

Jeep Hero

Last edited:
All,

Thanks, I really appreciate the suggestions and the pics. Also appreciate links to all the different companies that offer custom bumpers.

You are welcome to keep posting pics and suggestions. I will eventually need to decide on which rear bumper to go with.

I did order the Warrior Products Rock Crawler Front Bumper with winch deck, grill guard, D-ring mounts and frame reinforcement plates. Below is the only pic from the company.

115260-lg.jpg

I decided on this one partially because of its OEM appearance, and the full grill guard. As of now, I don’t plan to use this Jeep for serious off-roading. It is my daily driver, and I have FSJ Cherokees for harder use.

I will post some pics of the Cherokee once the bumper arrives and I get it mounted.

Additionally, I ordered the Warrior Products Steering Box Brace, and will mount it when I do the bumper.

Jeep Hero

Ever get that bumper mounted up?

The warrior bumper is a good cheap option and I have seen cottontail beat the snot out of it but for the price i's spend just a hair more and go with a JCR, oh wait I already did that! :D I have came down hard on my stage 4 a few times and its held up well. The rear stage 3 bumper from JCR I have has taken a lot more hits than the front and its still holding up well.

I also enjoy the clearance you get on the corners:
S7301004.jpg

That is a hella sweet pic I love it when I get caught on Kandid camera like that Very nice

Back