• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help in diagnosing no gauge problem

seanyb505

NAXJA Forum User
97 XJ with a rebuilt 4.6. The engine has started and runs, but I dont want to run the break-in procedures without working gauges. The story so far:
- I adding a mechanical oil gauge to run alongside and verify the readings I was getting on the dash before I rebuilt the engine. I at first I ran with just the mechanical gauge, but when I added the factory sender I got nothing. The rest of the cluster worked fine but the oil pressure gauge wouldn't move and the check gauges light came on.
-The gauges went out before the engine was rebuilt. So no gauges now doesn't really have anything to do with the rebuilt engine and the grounds that were handled.
- It is only the gauges that do not work. (A/C, horn, right/left turn signals, brights are all good) The turn signal and brights icons work on the gauge cluster, too. Since the horn is good I'm assuming clockspring is good.
- The hand brake light does not come on when pulled.
- The gauge lights do turn on and dim with the dimmer.
- Checked the IOD fuse under the hood. It measured 12 volts across the terminals. Is this the correct way to check it?
- I checked the fuse in the pass. kick panel fuse, it was good.
- Dielectric grease on all pins behind the cluster.
- I pulled both connectors under the driver's side dash and applied dielectric grease to all 14 billion pins.
- Tried beating the dash, wiggling it to no end, flicking the turn signal, flicking the brights, turning the right signal on and cancelling it with the steering wheel, and still no gauges.
- The digital display says nothing. No mileage or any "No Buss" messages.
- I tried the gauge cluster test per FSM and youtube videos. Nothing.

I know to start checking wires and grounds, but can anyone give me any leads as to locations to check? I've read a few people installing the TSB recommended harness, but still no gauges so I want to verify my situation before I start throwing money at it. Any help is appreciated.

I at first I ran with just the mechanical gauge, but when I added the factory sender I got nothing. The rest of the cluster worked fine but the oil pressure gauge wouldn't move and the check gauges light came on.

I've been fighting this single problem myself for a long time. Uh, without success that is.

What are the chances that the gauge pod itself has gone bad? I didn't see anything in the FSM regarding checking the electronic signals that would operate the gauges, only power to the gauge cluster. Am I looking in the wrong place?

I just read in the FSM that the door open/ key in chime is operated from the cluster. The chime works for me.

Last edited:
Junkyard console didn't fix it. I had the turn signal, brights and chime still, but not movement of the gauges. So I went to the wiring section of the FSM and it mentioned fuse 9 at the junction box. I had no fuse. Popped a fuse in, working dash! I feel like an idiot.

Back