• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need to raise my idle.

TheLaredo

NAXJA Forum User
Right now, my Jeep idles around 450-500rpm when hot and I need it to idle normally around 800rpm or so. How do I go about changing this?

On my '00 there is an adjustment screw on the bottom of the TB that adjusts the throttle lever. It's a 2.5MM allen head right under the lever where the throttle cable hooks. It adjusts how much the butterfly closes.

You do have to take the TB off the intake to get to it.

On my '00 there is an adjustment screw on the bottom of the TB that adjusts the throttle lever. It's a 2.5MM allen head right under the lever where the throttle cable hooks. It adjusts how much the butterfly closes.

You do have to take the TB off the intake to get to it.
You should not touch that screw. The idle speed is set by the IAC which is controlled by the ECU. Disco the battery, remove the IAC, clean the cavity with carb cleaner and q-tips. Take carb cleaner and a tooth brush to the IAC pintle. Do not rotate or push the pintle in or out, just clean all the carbon off.

You should not touch that screw. The idle speed is set by the IAC which is controlled by the ECU. Disco the battery, remove the IAC, clean the cavity with carb cleaner and q-tips. Take carb cleaner and a tooth brush to the IAC pintle. Do not rotate or push the pintle in or out, just clean all the carbon off.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread... but I didn't know that. I had the same low idle issue on my 2000 and after replacing all the parts I could think of, outside of a new computer, it's the only thing I found to raise the idle. If I should adjust it back down I can, but so far the idle issue is fixed and it doesn't die any more at a red light or stop sign. I'm at a loss as to what else to do to it. Thread back on track...

Listen to "old_man" not this old man.;)

Back