• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

reverse issue! (vids)

Cole93maxxxj

NAXJA Forum User
so my aw4 is acting weird in reverse and only in reverse. it all started when i was down by the lake w my buddy and i tried to back up this hill. i put it in gear and hit the gas and it just revved up like it was stuck on something and then all the sudden it slams into gear spinning all 4 tires and i backed up the hill. ever since then it wont back up under load. it vibrates like its not engaging properly. i changed the fluid and filter and i tried running it w the tcu disconnected and neither of those helped. im kinda stumped. could this be a valve body issue? or is it something to do with one of the clutch packs? i rebuilt this tranny like 10,000 mikes ago. here are a couple vids showing the problem.

There is no need to start a new thread 2 hours later just because no-one has responded to your problem ;)

When you are in 2wd does it behave normally? if not then you have a transmission problem, if so your problem is in the transfercase (but that is pretty unlikely since any problem there would be evident in forward or reverse).

Let's start with the basics, what year XJ? guessing early HO 4.0/231 tcase as that is the most common setup. Maybe since you said you rebuilt the trans is it possible a wire to one of the shift solenoids has come loose inside the trans oil pan? Just guessing wildly here.

1) Thou Shalt Not Double-Post.

2) Thou Shalt Make Every Effort to put Thy Thread in the Correct Section (this is an OEM issue - it's still the original transmission, without modification. Ergo, OEM Tech.)

I can almost forgive youth for the first - after all, "Youth is wasted on the young..."

Having said all that - it's the "spinning all four tyres" that has me wondering. What mode were you in on the transfer case? That little datum would be just as useful as details of you drivetrain setup - because in 2WD, you shouldn't be able to chirp all four tyres (and, if you have an NP231, running it on dry pavement in 4HI or 4LO isn't a good idea from the off.)

There are three solenoids in the AW4 - one to control torque converter clutch (TCC) lockup, and two to shift through the forward ranges (similar to counting in binary, although the truth table differs.) If it's a Reverse issue, it's likely either valve body or clutches. If it's all ranges, that has to be sorted (with more information than you have given so far.)

Basic questions:
- Year/engine/trans/tcase? You're saying it's an AW4 - which usually means the 6-242 engine, but I believe the 4-150 got the AW4 in short order as well. Both the NP231 and NP242 transfer cases can be found behind the AW4 transmission. (Depending on the year, the NP231 also implied a vacuum-operated CAD setup on the front axle.)

- When you overhauled the AW4, did you put any sealer on the valve body gaskets? You should not have - doing so can result in clogging the valve body hydraulic control passages.

- Did you replace the clutches as part of the overhaul?

- Was this AW4 your first slushbox overhaul? It's a relatively simple box, but I don't recomment it for the novice builder (cut your teeth on something more forgiving - like the THM350/400/700R4, Ford C4, or Chrysler A904/999. Doing an AW4 as a first overhaul is usually asking for problems.)

- How clean was the area where you overhauled the box, and kept the parts? The correct answer is "surgical," or close to it. Automatics in general don't like lint or crud being built into them.

- And, we need more of your symptoms to help to isolate the problem. How much have you drive-tested the thing? Able to replicate the issue? Able to replicate the issue using the same set of conditions? (Yes, that's important!)

There is no need to start a new thread 2 hours later just because no-one has responded to your problem ;)

When you are in 2wd does it behave normally? if not then you have a transmission problem, if so your problem is in the transfercase (but that is pretty unlikely since any problem there would be evident in forward or reverse).

Let's start with the basics, what year XJ? guessing early HO 4.0/231 tcase as that is the most common setup. Maybe since you said you rebuilt the trans is it possible a wire to one of the shift solenoids has come loose inside the trans oil pan? Just guessing wildly here.
sorry i left out a couple details. yes it is a tranny issue. the problem is there in 2wd.2wd is direct through the t case output shaft so its nothing with my np231.

1) Thou Shalt Not Double-Post. i didnt double post. on purpose...

2) Thou Shalt Make Every Effort to put Thy Thread in the Correct Section (this is an OEM issue - it's still the original transmission, without modification. Ergo, OEM Tech.)

I can almost forgive youth for the first - after all, "Youth is wasted on the young..."

Having said all that - it's the "spinning all four tyres" that has me wondering. What mode were you in on the transfer case? That little datum would be just as useful as details of you drivetrain setup - because in 2WD, you shouldn't be able to chirp all four tyres (and, if you have an NP231, running it on dry pavement in 4HI or 4LO isn't a good idea from the off.) i was on a dirt hill. and 4 hi.

There are three solenoids in the AW4 - one to control torque converter clutch (TCC) lockup, and two to shift through the forward ranges (similar to counting in binary, although the truth table differs.) If it's a Reverse issue, it's likely either valve body or clutches. If it's all ranges, that has to be sorted (with more information than you have given so far.)

Basic questions:
- Year/engine/trans/tcase? You're saying it's an AW4 - which usually means the 6-242 engine, but I believe the 4-150 got the AW4 in short order as well. Both the NP231 and NP242 transfer cases can be found behind the AW4 transmission. (Depending on the year, the NP231 also implied a vacuum-operated CAD setup on the front axle.) 1993/4.0/ aw4/np231

- When you overhauled the AW4, did you put any sealer on the valve body gaskets? You should not have - doing so can result in clogging the valve body hydraulic control passages.no sealer on the valve body.

- Did you replace the clutches as part of the overhaul? yes

- Was this AW4 your first slushbox overhaul? It's a relatively simple box, but I don't recomment it for the novice builder (cut your teeth on something more forgiving - like the THM350/400/700R4, Ford C4, or Chrysler A904/999. Doing an AW4 as a first overhaul is usually asking for problems.) yes first overhaul with my dad who has done automatics before.

- How clean was the area where you overhauled the box, and kept the parts? The correct answer is "surgical," or close to it. Automatics in general don't like lint or crud being built into them. not quite surgical but as clean as it could possibly be. in my garage.

- And, we need more of your symptoms to help to isolate the problem. How much have you drive-tested the thing? Able to replicate the issue? Able to replicate the issue using the same set of conditions? (Yes, that's important!)
so your saying i chould go try to back up on that hill and see if it slams into gear again? because before this incident it never chattered but now every time i try to back up it chatters.

Last edited:
sorry i left out a couple details. yes it is a tranny issue. the problem is there in 2wd.2wd is direct through the t case output shaft so its nothing with my np231.

so your saying i chould go try to back up on that hill and see if it slams into gear again? because before this incident it never chattered but now every time i try to back up it chatters.

I was merely saying that we needed more information to go on, and that attempting to replicate the problem is generally helpful (if you can replicate the problem consistently, it's a problem. If you cannot, it's either a fluke or a different problem that isn't ready to be identified.)

Back