• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Crossmember mount - quick question on orientation

Jonner

NAXJA Forum User
So I had a friend that's a Volkswagen mechanic help me swap out my crossmember mount. We didn't have a manual but it's a fairly straight forward job. My friend wasn't paying too much attention when dropping out the crossmember, and I want to make sure the mount is oriented correctly.

I've had this creaking coming from the crossmember mount since he worked on it, and I think the mount may have been installed backwards (180 degrees). The mount has a tiny bit of angle to it. I've got the mount and crossmember dropped in my garage now.

Can you guys remember if the mount is the fatter end front or fatter end rear?

...going to drill out my crossmember bolt in the meantime :laugh3:

So I had a friend that's a Volkswagen mechanic help me swap out my crossmember mount. We didn't have a manual but it's a fairly straight forward job. My friend wasn't paying too much attention when dropping out the crossmember, and I want to make sure the mount is oriented correctly.

I've had this creaking coming from the crossmember mount since he worked on it, and I think the mount may have been installed backwards (180 degrees). The mount has a tiny bit of angle to it. I've got the mount and crossmember dropped in my garage now.

Can you guys remember if the mount is the fatter end front or fatter end rear?

...going to drill out my crossmember bolt in the meantime :laugh3:

I believe the holes in the crossmember for the tranny mount are offset about 1" from one end to the other. Mine's installed with the shorter side toward the passenger side, shifting the drive train away from the drivers side.

I think he's talking about the rubber tranny mount. It's taller on one side. I installed the taller (fatter side) on the front end and the shorter (skinny) side rearwards so that the drivetrain is pointing down towards the axle/d-shaft.

I think he's talking about the rubber tranny mount. It's taller on one side. I installed the taller (fatter side) on the front end and the shorter (skinny) side rearwards so that the drivetrain is pointing down towards the axle/d-shaft.

^this.

Way late reply...

But if someone is having trouble with this in the future, check to see if your exhaust mount is lining up. If it isn't, flip the mount 180 degrees and check if the exhaust mount lines up better.

In the wrong orientation it will nearly take a pry bar to get it into position.

Bringing this back from the dead I know, but what rubber tranny mount is this thread referring to? For the AW4 or manual transmission? I replacing my AW4 tranny mount in my 91 MJ tomorrow and just want to be sure I get it installed correctly. I didn't know about the 180* difference if it's referring to the AW4 mount. Thanks All.

Back