• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

POR-15 on engine block?

OverlandZJ

NAXJA Member # 101
Anyone have any experience painting a block with regular rust preventive POR-15? I'm wondering if it'll hold up to the heat.

I picked up a low mileage rebuild out of a wreck, and it has a little rust on the block, what would be my best option here? Wire brush and rattle can engine paint? I'd like to install it clean and purdy...

Tom, thanks for the link.. bookmarked it. I have the POR already so i'll give that a shot this time around unless i hear good reason not to.

I was in a hurry, so I used Duplicolor's flame proof engine enamel, topped with their clearcoat ::shudder::

I love to preach about catalyzed epoxies and urethane based products, but it seems to have done the job, I just don't plan on ever blasting the block down with brake cleaner or anything else that might strip the finish. Mine might have come out a little better than other's though, I was able to acid dip the block prior to painting so it was about as prepped and grease free as they get lol. 1000 miles so far, still looks like the day I painted it.

It's been in and running for awhile now, so far so good with no lifting or fading.

WJenginepainted.jpg

Back