• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Double checking backlash. questions

Jeep450r

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I just had 4.88 gears installed in my 8.25 about 500-700 miles ago. When it was put in, the shop said they were set at .008" backlash. When I change the diff fluid in the near future, I want to double check the backlash because I have a slight whine.

What should the backlash be at now? I cant imagine it will still be .008" because the gears had to break in...

Anything else I should check for while im in there?

How about for the front 30?

The backlash should not have changed more than about .002" so look for .010". The same for the front. Put super strong magnets inside your diff covers when you put it back together to catch any wear wetal from this point on.

Is it normal for deeper gears like that (USA standard) to whine a little? It sounds like it's been getting a little worse and worse.

Is it normal for deeper gears like that (USA standard) to whine a little? It sounds like it's been getting a little worse and worse.
The ratio should not be a factor in if they whine. How well they were installed and what quality they are makes the most difference. It could possibly be the pinion bearings.

Back