• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tilt steering question

There is. The XJ uses a GM steering column design, found on a lot of 80's and 90's vehicles. There's a very good writeup on one of the GM websites (El Camino or maybe Impala I think) that I used when I tightened mine up. Google "GM steering column loose" and you'll find a few thousand articles.

You'll need reverse torx sockets. You can get the cheap ones at the parts store. The one you'll use (I think it's 8mm) you'll end up shaving the outside so that it fits. Use the most permanent locktite on the bolts, so you never have to take it apart again. Then be really careful, because if you break something like the turn signal cancel or the 4 way flasher knob, it's not easy to fix.

Took me about 3 hours. Kind of tedious, but not too bad. If you don't have a steering wheel puller, you can borrow one from the parts store.

Edit: This is the one I used: http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=27192

you dont NEED the reverse torx. i believe a 1/4 socket works. the write up points that out somewhere. its actually fairly easy. and if you want to tighten all four bolts, you need a steering column pivot pin removal tool. amazon sells them for like $6. its a pretty easy fix, just tedious, like said

I didn't use a pivot pin removal tool, so I don't know if you need one or not.

Using a 1/4 inch socket works until you strip the splines off the bolt and can't tighten it down. I bought the torx sockets because I only wanted to be ass deep in the steering column one time in my life, ever ever.

In any case, it's not a bad job. Little tougher than an oil change, but anyone who has a socket set can pull it off.

Back