• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ Power Lock Issue

Harrum

NAXJA Forum User
I searched with some success however just have a few additional questions.

My XJ has developed the annoying habit ot locking and unlocking by itself as I drive. Most of the time when I press the lock button the locks dont function the switch only clicks but the actuators do not ingage, something sounds jammed. Also when someone opens the passenger side door the lock clicks. For this reason I figure its an issue with the passenger side door. I ripped it apart and pulled out the mechanism, everything looks good(wiring, linkage) I cleaned it up and lubed all moving parts. As soon as I plugged the 2 switches (window, lock) into the wiring harness the switch clicked even without the actuator connected. I tried to lock and unlock the doors with both the driver and passenger switch, but no luck it still sounds like something is jammed. Does this mean theres an issue with the switch panel?

.... locking and unlocking by itself as I drive. Most of the time when I press the lock button the locks dont function the switch only clicks but the actuators do not ingage....

Most commonly caused by a short circuit in the wiring. Late model Cherokee power door locks have 12 volts + present at all times, pressing the lock button grounds the lock circuit and the door locks function. If your locks are randomly cycling you should look for damaged wires causing a short circuit. If you test/inspect and find no wiring issues, you might want to try another master switch in the drivers door.

Thanks i'll double check the wiring in the jams. Is it worth buying used door panels and switches, or i it a common enough problem that the doner parts will be effed too?

If you test/inspect and find no wiring issues in or near the doors, you might want to try another master switch in the drivers door.

Back