• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's Engine Skid Plate and Control Arm Drop

jro780

NAXJA Forum User
I'm running a Rubicon Express/JKS 5.5 Extreme duty setup that uses the RE6900 control arm drop brackets with frame rail support braces. I've got a lead on Rusty's XJ engine tranny skid plate I would like to install. I called Rusty's for support on skip plate fitment with different lift setups and they were less than helpful stating that they wouldn't provide any support for a lift setup with control arm drop brackets

Drop Brackets: http://www.rubiconexpress.com/SuspensionSystems/Product.aspx?part=RE9900

Skid: http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=rustys&Product _Code=RA-JS11-XJ&Category_Code=xj_skid

Does anyone know if the Rusty's skid plate for short arm lifts will work with a control arm drop bracket setup? The skid plate bolts to the factory lower control arm frame bolt. I'm afraid this setup won't be compatible.

I appreciate the help.

Your dealings with them is exactly why I refuse to buy from them. I copied this off their site in the skid description.

"We design all of our skid plates to work with anyone's parts so if you're running another crossmember or suspension kit rest assured that our skids will work." :confused:

With that being said. If its a short arm skid I would think it should fit still since it appears the drop bracket kit is a bolt on that uses the stock lower control arm holes. The skid bolts to the inside of the stock arm mounts so I would think its just a matter of taking those bolts back out of the drop brackets and mounting the skid with those bolts and then tighten everything back up.

If the skid is local to you is it possible to get the seller to let you try mocking it up into place to see if you think it will work before you buy it?

edit: i originally posted that it would not work when I installed Drop Brackets but looking through my pictures I found a photo that showed both of them installed. Sorry but my memory is terrible at keeping up with all the modifications I've done over the years.

So yes DB's will work with Rusty's skid:

PIC-0035.jpg

I do remember that I hardly ever hit the skid plate once the DB's were installed cuz the DB's are what gets hung up and hit on everything if you don't run a 33" or taller tire. I had 31's and those damn brackets hit and dragged on everything.

FYI, it's also a real BITCH to change the oil but it does hide any oil leaks you have so it gives a peace of mind by showing that you have no leaks lol.

Last edited:
I also have the skid and RE drop brackets. Works fine, except for changing the oil like he said.

What T-Case skid is that pictured above??

Oh and some advice: test fit all the parts of anything that comes from Rusty's. The skid and and bracket would not go together, even with a big hammer. I had to pull out the saw and cut em up just to get the damn things to come close to bolting up. They did a terrible job making that skid.

Mine got struck by a log and dented a tiny bit, which is why I got the skid. Of course the skid was hardly touched while I had it lol. It does protect the exposed exhaust pipe and also adds some protection to the driveshaft but the main benefit was a smooth surface to slide on instead of getting hung up by the crossmember.

Back