• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Identifying Shifting Noise (Video)

zPike00EB

NAXJA Forum User
Recently (as of yesterday) shifting into any direction changing gear rewards me with a unsatisfying crunch, heard in the video below :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU9Gj1dk83Y

I'm no mechanic, but something is clearly wrong. It sounds to me like its coming from the Transfer case area, but thats only because I'm under the impression that it's failing. Its a np242, and it constantly jumps out of 4wd. The handle doesn't move, and the light indicator will still read Part-Time, but only the rear tires will turn, and now this noise.

I don't know what to check, and or where to begin!

Could be the transfer case I'm hearing over your piston slap. How many miles? I'm guessing it's time for a chain in the t-case, but when was the last time you did u-joints? Have you adjusted the transfer case linkage?

Could be the transfer case I'm hearing over your piston slap. How many miles? I'm guessing it's time for a chain in the t-case, but when was the last time you did u-joints? Have you adjusted the transfer case linkage?

195,000. All the U-Joints seem sounds, I just replaced the rear axle end U-joint 1,000 miles ago, and had the others checked. You can see in the second video the play is coming from the transfer case itself, not the joints.

I wasn't aware that adjusting the transfer case linkage would help me out. It GOES INTO 4lo, and the front tires will spin, but soon after (a loud pop) they stop.

If it's popping out of gear then the t-case linkage is not adjusted properly. either that or your engine and trans mounts are so worn it is allowing too much movement of both allowing the linkage to pop it out of gear. Is there play on the output shafts of the transfer case?

The thing is -- when it does let go, or pop out of gear, the shifter doesn't move at all.. sometimes I can put it into reverse, back into drive and it's ok for the next section of trail.

and if by output shafts, you are referring to the drive shafts, then yes, as seen in the second video, there is a decent amount of play in them.

Back