• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Renix grounding issue

Renegade XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have been searching for the last 3 days on here and google but I can't find a strait answer. My XJ is a 1989 4.0l AW4 Laredo with powerwindows and power door lock delete. I'm trying to upgrade all the under hood ground straps. I know there is one from the NEG. Batt. Post to the dipstick. Then one from the firewall to the block. Where is the 3rd one?!?!?!? My XJ has an extra little wire from the NEG battery post to the passenger side fender area, is that it? It dosnt look like a factory location.

Any other ground wires I should be awar of? And I want to run one from the dipstick to the frame, where do you guys usually attach it?

The ground from the batt to fender is not stock, but won't do you any harm (may help). Look at the oil dipstick bolt while you're there. It should be sharing a ground on a ring to ?ECU?. Both my renix rigs have another wire (ground) to it.

Get some 4 ga cable to the firewall instead of the strap. Clean and poilshed

i dont see a ground wire or strap of any kind going to my transmission dip stick, but i read there is suppose to be one. could this be the culprit of my intermittent loss of second gear? (AW4).

The ECU and sensor grounds are small gauge wires at the ENGINE dipstick tube stud. Be sure to remove the nut holding them on, scrape the paint off the stud/block, clean up all the wire terminal rings and reattach securely.

If you wanna have your negative battery cable connected there also, go ahead if it's long enough. The factory had no wire from the negative cable to the body but if you've got one, use it.

The strap at the back of the head to the firewall is a piece of junk. It's better to replace it with a #4 cable running from the rearmost mounting bolt of the injector rail on the intake manifold. Make sure you scrape the firewall area down to bare metal upon installation.

Do a search for user name 5-90, and subject "battery cables".Jon Kelly (5-90) provides the best ever set of battery cables. My Renix used to have high idle issues, but ever since I installed his cables everything is great!

Do a search for user name 5-90, and subject "battery cables".Jon Kelly (5-90) provides the best ever set of battery cables. My Renix used to have high idle issues, but ever since I installed his cables everything is great!

www.kellyswip.com is his website. That's your best bet for a great cable system. In the meantime, you can do as we previously suggested.

Back