• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help, we have spark, injector pulse, and good sensors.

Scatterbrained

NAXJA Forum User
I am a bit lost. We replaced the distributor, crank angle sensor, battery cables with new items, and tested the injectors for pulse and proper resistance. I will be grabbing a fuel pressure tester tomorrow and checking that. Its no longer starting, and has a trouble code for no cam angle sensor signal detected. I am at a loss. I reset the engine to tdc on hole number 1 and got a bit of a try to start. Please help.

I am a bit lost. We replaced the distributor, crank angle sensor, battery cables with new items, and tested the injectors for pulse and proper resistance. I will be grabbing a fuel pressure tester tomorrow and checking that. Its no longer starting, and has a trouble code for no cam angle sensor signal detected. I am at a loss. I reset the engine to tdc on hole number 1 and got a bit of a try to start. Please help.

Was the distributor a reman or used? Because the hall effects pickup inside is your cam angle sensor also but not sure.

Dave.

NwScott was making fun of me! So I had to change my signature from the Tapatalk provided one to. I love my iPad and PC's suck the black pickle! (black pickle quote from Adam Sandler)

This thread should be moved to the tech forums.

I don't understand the question correctly. Did the vehicle quit running before the changes or after the changes? What year?

Have you checked the CPS?

Other than not starting what symptoms? What is the back story?

Michael

This was the rig donated to Randy. It was having a hot start issue. Now it is having a no start issue. Jeep is a 1992 4.0 auto with a 242 case. It has a brand new Crank angle sensor. Brand new re manufactured dizzy. used TPS, coolant, and intake air temp sensors.

Last edited:
You check the cps?

Are you 180 degrees off?

I had the same issues on an 89 and found out we were 180 out.

How about a bit of old school troubleshooting. Pull a couple of spark plugs and see if they are wet/fouled, etc.

With a bunch of cranking you can get wet fouled. The error about not getting a cam sensor signal sounds interesting. What year model is this?

I've had the dizzy off a tooth or 2. It ran, wouldn't restart once hot, but no dtc's. This is on a 92 as well. I would suspect a problem on that circuit. If you can swap PCMs with a known good, you might find a wiring issue.

Of course it is COMPLETELY unheard of for new parts to be bad. Could try swapping distributors also. I second the spark plug inspection too.

When you replace a distributor you will need to insert a small diameter pin or rod into the alignment hole in the bottom of the distributor housing and thru the mounting plate near the CKP which will align the distributor to #1, then insert the distributor and rotate the distributor CCW (IIRC) to where the dowel in the engine block will line up with the U shaped casting of the distributor. If the distributor base doesn't fully seat against the block then you will need to remove the distributor again and use a long screw driver to turn the grooved oil pump shaft slightly so that the distributor shaft notch will mate up properly with the oil pump shaft when reinserted.

No offence, but I have seen people think they are at TDC on #1 when infact they are 180 out ??? My kids 2000xj had the same problem, crank no start it was the throttle poss. sensor. You said you replaced it with a used one, maybe it went TU.

Got it figured out. I kept trying to reset by this instruction (Make sure you stabbed the dizzy in right it needs be one tooth before number 1) which left me one tooth too far back. I also swapped the TPS back to the original. It is running now, no DTCs and we have a happy owner of a fairly nice jeep now.

Back